SITE NEWS
  • EXCITING NEW PLOTS COMING SOON, LOOK FOR UPCOMING POSTS IN THE PLOTTING AREA THAT WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL ON THE SITE TO JOIN!!

• Kai Alexander Morgan

Attention was on his surroundings, listening quietly to the rather excited upstart realtor that was no doubt trying in earnest to put the world back together, or at least render it to a lull normalcy.  The Were had other plans for this building, smiling softly at her with the casual quirk to the left side of his lips that made her eyes twinkle at him.  The compact, neatly dressed, bubbly young woman pressed multiple numbers on a keypad, the door to the lower level releasing with a rather loud click.  She illuminated the steps downward, explaining there were private security elevators that once were used to enter the vaults below.

It smelled like metal, a strong and penetrating scent that quivered a muscle in his cheek.  The thought process was the last one he would ever consider, or would have ever considered until now.  There was never any question he had to remove himself from the general population every moon. It was different now, the world complicated. Mrs. Kolcheck. Mack. There were times he could not leave. He could still function during the day, but it was a struggle.  It had occurred to him that forced socialization during days he normally just allowed himself to rest in solitude could pick away at his level of control.

He would just have to learn to keep himself stable.

Nodding to her lengthy explanations, pointing out each vault that were once used for safety deposit boxes and incredibly rare artifacts as well as the two main lock-ups, she was trying really hard to sell him the place.  He let her, the decision was already made.

He’d looked at banks, other museums and even libraries.  Libraries simply did not have the security to maintain a full throttle Were in kill mode. Even their highly secured special collections areas didn’t have the wall capacity.  Banks didn’t have the open space he wanted. This one however, a small museum gallery that specialized in the showing, storage and sale of rare jewelry and gems… it was perfect. The main floor above could be transformed into his studio for his classes, an entire office area in the back with a private entrance for his practice.  The lower level was his, even had the capacity to entertain several Weres at a time.  Take out the boxes and there were five metal rooms that could withstand an explosion.

She flipped through her small notepad and punched the keypad for the largest in the corner, struggling to swing the several foot thick circular door open.  Smile was easy as his hands slid from his creased khaki pockets and helped her, then stepped inside.

This was what it had come to, air pulled into his lungs at the empty coffin of steel.  Imprisoning himself.  There were precautions to be had.  The Vanguard wasn’t stupid.  Vaults were a prime place for a Were to hide in plain sight.  It would take work to shut off the lower levels and only allow access to himself.

[kai]Who has access to these panels?[/kai]  warm voice hummed in his chest, the comforting quality one that hid the horrible thing he was.

*npc*  “Whoever purchases the property.  They can be changed to suit.”

He nodded thoughtfully, hands sliding back in the pockets of his suit pants as he turned and nodded to her, [kai]I’ll take it.[/kai]

Papers signed, keys turned over… he was finally going through with it.  He pointed in response to a question where a box should be situated- the inside of the building bustling with activity.  Outside he was trying to keep it as quiet as possible.  The Were’s OCD was in full agitation mode.  He hated moving, really..  really hated moving.  With a passion.  Jeans were covered with dust and paint, old military jump boots laced tight under them- the cleaning had begun, small beads of sweat in the center of his back on the gray t-shirt that clung to his frame like a glove. 

Sigh exhaled, watching more boxes begin to pile up in the corner from the movers.  His back offices were finished after a few week’s worth of work.  Several walls had been taken out to make for a proper lobby area for his secretary Lynne.  Her desk was in place, the very neat, comfortable décor warm.  Lush dark leather seating area to wait, a small kitchenette for people to help themselves surrounded by gentle colors and interesting art work.  His office was finished as well, a bit different than his old, colors more muted in anticipation of staying in the city during his changes.  There was no telling what would disturb or set him off during the day.  Erring on the side of caution was the best path for now.  Everything was brought over, the leather couches and chair, gorgeous desk that had been the cause of so much trouble.  It was a lush environment for a man that spent most of his life sweating to death in foxholes and rooftops.  All was left was to unpack the boxes.  His books, files.  It was all meticulously labeled and Lynne was already beginning the task of putting everything into secure files.

Work gloves were pulled off and slipped in his back jeans pocket, picking up a bottled water and moving toward the front to leave Lynne to the unpacking.  Not much had to be done there either.  The room had been a former exhibit area, open, marble pillars distanced enough apart to be safe for his classes.  Cushioned benches were already lined up under the windows in front, the mats down, his bags able to be left out because of the space, unlike his other place.  A small desk was at the front to check people in before classes.  The last order of business was knocking out walls and re-routing plumbing for the locker room area.  It was already mapped out… water shut off in the left side of the building.  Taking a long drink from the bottle, he set it on a table near the front with the remodeling plans, looking up briefly at the movers still coming in through the front door before picking up a sledgehammer and lifting it easily over his shoulder.

He loved this part.

Pausing, eyes flicked over the plans, the basement renovations left off the list on purpose.  He was doing that himself.  Not even Lynne would be allowed access. A lot of work, and he didn't have a lot of time before the next moon.

It started off as a walk until Ghost showed his irritation with the collar by flattening one ear and cocking his head to the side, as if he was saying: really? After all we've been through and I have yet to leave, you still put this horrible restraint on me? Ghost after all showed an amazing sense of loyalty and intelligence that putting on a collar was almost unnecessary. Abby sighed as she placed one hand on her hip and returned the white husky's stare, reluctant to remove the collar since he was such a curious bugger once it was off. "If I do this one thing for you," she voiced with a quirked eyebrow, "you have to be good." 

Both ears went back and he sat back on his haunches with a lifted snout. Abby chuckled, "all right, you've proved your point." 

The snowy canine huffed and then proceeded to lick her cheeks and nuzzle her face when she knelt before himr. Scritching his soft neck, she removed the collar to stuff in her purse. Then, she held his face with a stern look. "Remember - be good." Ghost wuffled then he reared back after a playful nip to her nose. She quickly wiped her face as she stood, straightening out her simple ensemble - a light green crew neck sweater beneath a black pea coat and black fitted jeans tucked into brown, knee high riding boots. She grinned as she watched Ghost circle around her before strutting ahead. His form flickered briefly, but it wasn't as busy nor crowded where they ventured, admiring what had been salvaged and remodeled after the resonance. Winter still touched the skies with a chill, but she could see the pillow-like clouds. It was actually a nice day to not work, but Abby felt a little off not solving cases or doing paperwork. Margie liked to call her overworked, but Abby honestly didn't delve much into her free time unless it meant curling up on the couch watching Castle or Rizzoli and Isles. 

When was the last time she made a sushi dinner? Her knife must be dull from the last use, and she hadn't been to the fish market in a while. A soft bark earned her attention and she grinned sheepishly as Ghost paused by the corner - obviously leading her instead of the other way around. "All right already!" She hollered with a light chuckle, and quickened her pace to catch up. They rounded the corner together, her hand idly brushing along his back since she was petite and he was quite large. Up ahead was a large truck with movers bringing in boxes into what appeared to be an art gallery. Abby debated on whether or not to get out of their way since Ghost fawned over attention, but the phantom dog apparently had other plans when he suddenly took off. His paws thumped against the pavement and he started barking, ears perked as he rushed down the sidewalk, startling some of the movers. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" Abby called out as she broke into a run, boots following after. A noise of panic also left her throat when Ghost decided to run through the wall instead of going through the entrance. He went inside! Flushed, the harried detective leaped over a box that had been hastily set down and turned into the gallery. Ghost was heading toward a tall - Abby's mind went blank once she saw the man holding a sledgehammer over his shoulder, and he was a tall drink all right. The blush darkened her already flushed cheeks and she called out to her dog for fear that he was going to do what she thought he might be do - pounce the stranger! 

"Ghost, get back here!" 

He had a week before all hell would break loose.  As it stood, he would have to change the code to the main vault.  There was a keypad on the inside, as soon as he was lucid enough during the full moon to actually remember the code, he could get himself out in the morning…  granted he didn’t tear it apart in his nightly rage.  Lynne would have to know to come check on him in the morning. She already knew about him, it was a quiet understanding, and she was the only one he employed that had any idea.  Certain clients also had the same quiet understanding because he counseled them in their own Were-related troubles.  Regardless, he had a week to figure it out, the hackles of the vicious feline curled metaphorically in his gut suddenly bristling to strict attention.  Muscle ticked in his neck at the first inkling of a raised voice, senses flushing wide to narrow feline eyes at the sound of a dog outside. Gaze flicked to the front door and a few startled movers, then a dog.

A dog.  He would prefer the Vanguard paying him a visit to try pissing on his territory.

A dog going through his wall?

"Ghost, get back here!" 

Sledgehammer slipped from his shoulder to clink on the floor as he looked up at its owner who had let herself in with the movers to go after it- refusing to relinquish his ground at the overly happy rampaging creature that had already proven to be something other than the run of the mill beastie.  Then again, neither was he.  It didn’t seem Vanguard, thank god they hadn't figured out that one yet.  Dogs could track Weres, or sense them at the very least from what he'd experienced.  An animal thing he suspected.  She didn’t seem Vanguard, he was armed anyway- backup weapon on his ankle.  Not that he needed to be, it was just habit.  The presence of people he really didn’t know milling around him severely limiting his responses, kneejerk reply was to bare his teeth and rage at the thing… not just to stop it from touching him, but to protect his owner from getting too close.  To her benefit, the entire day would be washed off his skin later before he went home.  He simply couldn’t risk bringing any scent stimuli home with him, the less the better, but it was a risk he always had to deal with.

Muscles tensed at the pounce, paws on his chest barely rocking his form backward as he refused to go down and instead cocked his head at the panting beastie that had both front paws on his chest.  Unusually expressive eyebrows quirked from the dog to her.

[kai]Yours I presume?[/kai]  a gentle voice hummed from deep in his chest, the accent faintly British with a smoother consonant.

On the inside, the brutal growl being suppressed for the sake of everyone staying alive remained silent… on the outside, the casual smile ticked upward at her, then looked down at the dog.  Fingers tightened on the handle of the sledgehammer he was still holding onto, creaking slightly then relaxing as he forced himself to remain calm.  Did she know her pooch bounded through walls?  Most likely. Did she know he’d seen it?  Most likely not.  He would keep that trump card in his pocket for now.  Did she know the guy her dog was panting on could kill a room full of people?  No. He had to stay calm.

[kai]New in the neighborhood, big fuzzy must be upset I'm in his territory.  You the welcoming party?[/kai]

He knew the dog's name, he'd heard it.  It was always a game, trying to be the nice guy... knowing he was the furthest thing from it.

Ghost had one thing in his mind and it was: cat, where's the cat, I smell cat, catcatcat. It had been a little confusing at first, a scent that was familiar but not. The dog however latched onto that familar scent, the scent of its archrival - the cat. The distressed call of his master was behind him as he dashed down the sidewalk, scaring off movers from being in the way. Instead of recalling the reprimand of exposing his abilities outside of the house, or for other reasons, Ghost did what his name entailed - he leaped through the wall instead of going through the entrance like a normal dog, further distressing Abby. 

The barking unleashed itself, until Ghost realized that no cat was present. It reminded him almost of Abby's sister; the scent she carried however was more canine as opposed to this feline anomaly. Humans were distinct, but this human didn't smell like his master, nor did it smell like the other humans moving things that were in boxes. The dog launched up, but was caught by the strong arms. The low growl vibrated in his throat as he was held in place, glacial pools locked with the human in a stare that was both a warning and territorial. 

"Ghost, down!!" The stern tone of his master made Ghost's ears wilt and a low whine started in his throat. This human was not really human. He smelled like a cat, and Ghost wanted to get to the bottom of that confusing scent that almost reminded him of Margie's. He continued to growl, glacial eyes narrowing to slits until Abby said his name one last time, and there was that tone that usually meant no snacks or belly scratches if he didn't comply. He huffed and then reared back to settle back on his paws, creating some space between them. He sniffed at the man's calf, teeth slightly bared before returning to Abby. 

Flushed and blushing, the off-duty detective decided to leash Ghost's collar again. She wrapped the end thrice around her hand and tugged lightly so that Ghost was standing closer to her. She gave him a look that him whine an apology. When she scratched his head, he wuffled quietly and sat with his tail waving back and forth. With a sigh, Abby looked up from Ghost to the handsome fellow her dog had graciously pounced. 

"Yes, he is. I'm so sorry about that. Ghost usually tries to get people's attention - I hope he didn't hurt you." The worry laced her tone as she looked the stranger over, trying not to stare too hard. He didn't look like the guys at the station - she was too used to them to care about their looks. Margie would be really amused with seeing her older sister blushing like the sunrise. 

The fact that he was new the neighborhood certainly explained the movers, and she laughed, silently reprimanding herself for how nervous it sounded. "Big fuzzy? I'm sure he likes that one." The soft bark showed otherwise and Abby chuckled, scratching Ghost behind his ear. The low rumble meant he was over it, and she grinned. "I'm Abernathy Wynn, but you can just call me Abby. I don't live far from here, so I guess I am the welcoming committee. So, new neighbor, welcome!" God, was she usually this awkward? She hoped not. She was technically 'one of the guys' at the station; the tough cookie despite her height and cherubic visage. 

Lashes narrowed slightly at the frantic barking to a cat that did not exist, feline green engulfed with pupil as the paws hit his chest. To the observer, calm demeanor remained stoic, right hand still holding the handle with its head resting on the ground. Fingers in his left twitched once next to his thigh, then were still, a subsonic inhuman rumble in his own chest passing its warning off to the beastie that was damaging his calm. The Were was viciously territorial, the dog had to get off or the cat was going to remember this at an unconscious level. Scent trails led to confrontations. Confrontations lead to death. At this point he really wasn’t certain the vault below would hold him even if he tranq-ed the hell out of himself before every change.

"Ghost, down!!"

Loose fingers reached up and brushed off his shirt- considering the building was under construction and he’d been demo-ing walls it did more harm than good… lips quirking as the brows came down, gaze sliding back to the dog with a decidedly more lethal glare at the continued growl- so quick it flickered in a mere second and was gone. Top lip quivered a moment over oddly pronounced canines that remained concealed, expression moving fluidly to a warmth he had down to a science. He was always cordial, warm. It was a nice sweet coating to a very biting animal. Teeth went on edge, the scent of blushing blood close to the surface of her skin bringing a muscle quiver across his cheek. On cue his words were kind, and sincere. He could always count on his kneejerk training. He swore it was the only reason he was still alive, hell... that many were still alive.

"Yes, he is. I'm so sorry about that. Ghost usually tries to get people's attention - I hope he didn't hurt you."

Soft laugh was amused, [kai]no harm done.[/kai]

Lie.

"Big fuzzy? I'm sure he likes that one. I'm Abernathy Wynn, but you can just call me Abby. I don't live far from here, so I guess I am the welcoming committee. So, new neighbor, welcome!"

[kai]Kai,[/kai] smile easy, he transferred the sledgehammer to his left and held out his hand to shake hers if she felt so inclined. [kai]Kai Morgan, moving from two different offices into one. Easier on time and bills.[/kai] Leaning the handle on the table that held the plans, he picked up his water and finished it, nodding toward the back of the building. [kai]I specialize in counseling services for survivors of violent crimes and domestic violence, teach self defense classes up front twice a week. Just need to reroute plumbing and build the locker rooms, then open for business. Would you like some coffee or something? Lynne, my secretary already has the kitchenette up and running for the movers. Can get your dog some water.[/kai]

The tightening of his eyes as he glanced at the thing was quick. He loved coffee, it was the only strong scent he could tolerate that didn’t give him a migraine… and sticking a mug of strong black coffee under his nose would divert the scent of canine, for the time being anyway.

"Kai." She said, telling herself to relax. Once her shoulders sunk, Abby threw out her hand to accept the introduction. Her small hand grasped his, warm and rough to the touch yet hers had their own callouses from the years of vigorous training. You should never judge a book by it's cover and that is something far too common with the world being the way it was. His warmth was more welcoming than startling since the chill of January was still in the air; even inside, with the AC humming softly. 

She held his hand in a sure grip before giving it a solid shake, "it's really nice to meet ya." That he kept the conversation going was something Abby appreciated. She wasn't exactly an expert on socializing unless the mood struck her, so today was just an easy day. Her chestnut brows rose with intrigue when he mentioned merging two different offices. Now bored, Ghost just plopped with his belly on the ground, releasing also a loud toothy yawn. Abby gave him a final scratch behind the ear before glancing toward the back of the building and then to the table holding the plans. 

"What kind of offices are we talking about?"

Two key phrases stuck in her mind - "survivors of violent crimes" and "self defense."

"That's pretty neat!" Abby couldn't contain her excitement. Her sister, Margie of course wasn't open about her affliction, but she knew that her sister needed someone to talk to. Someone who was an expert on the field of trauma, whether or not they know the truth. Abby could only do so much with ensuring that her sister didn't get out and rampage on the streets. Abby was her support, but she wasn't so much as expert as anyone who'd pull up a wikipedia account on werewolves. She had books stacked, but how could you decipher between fact or fiction? Margie couldn't even remember the lunar episodes. 

Also, self defense was something Abby was good at. 

What are the chances she'd come across an opportunity like this? 

"Of course!" She said at the mention of coffee, "and water would be great for the big guy. That run must've done something..." She grinned sheepishly, "I'm not going to pretend that you didn't see anything. When Ghost gets excited he forgets sometimes, so if that startled you I apologize again." She then lifted her hand in a playful gesture, "lead the way, and I shall follow." One could never go wrong with coffee, and being a detective meant drinking an uber amount. 

Once they started moving, Abby decided to continue her friendly neighbor routine. He didn't seem suspicious, considering the background he just shared. Though, that didn't mean she wasn't on guard. Just a little relieved that there was someone so close who could potentially help out with Margie's situation. It wasn't a cure they were looking for - no matter how nice that sounded, but someone to talk to in Margie's case about these problems. It was just a matter of whether or not she should reveal her condition to a complete stranger that would make her sister hesitate. 

"By the way, I work for the NYPD. I'm a detective and I happen to deal a lot with the violent crimes department - that includes homicide, even domestic violence. I know some people who can help you get a kick start, people who are looking for someone to talk to and classes to take. It's really nice that you'd do that." She really meant it. "You'll definitely have a good start here. A lot of people are looking for someone to talk to. Sometimes it's enough to make them feel safe." She whistled softly underneath her breath for Ghost to trek behind them. He kept a distance between himself and Kai however while looking about, sniffing at things or nosing them, glancing up if someone were to pass by before wuffling for some affection. 

"Kai."

He nodded slightly, it was always strange hearing someone say it back to him. Usually it was Mr. Morgan, or ‘soldier’ or ‘sir’. He often found people repeated it because the pronunciation was a bit unusual, and they wanted to make sure it actually rhymed with ‘guy’ and wasn’t a mistake on their part…or he said it oddly with the Americanized lilt of a Welsh accent. He didn’t completely grow up there, but his parents and sister had before they came over the pond, so it was enough to make people mistake him for a Brit. He recognized body language intimately, the fall of her shoulders seeming to give her the confidence to shake his hand, knowing his touch sometimes caught people off guard. He tended to run a bit hotter than the average bear so to speak, and never was quite able to figure out why except assume it was the Were in him.

"it's really nice to meet ya."

He nodded at the shake, noting her enthusiasm with his chosen profession… or the one he’d taken on after his other had come to a screeching halt.

[kai]It fills a need, unfortunately. But, there’s not many willing to take it on so I do what I can.[/kai]

He moved through a set of double doors that had been left intact to allow security and privacy to the back of the building. At the moment they were open for ease of movement for construction and general boxes of sorts. Lynne was in the file room behind her desk unpacking, but the generously sized break room that had been converted into a kitchenette had a fresh pot of coffee on and bless her, his favorite noshings of late. She got it, she knew the Were hated moving and was doing what she could to ease the stress that was never apparent on the outside to anyone but those that knew what they were looking for.

"I'm not going to pretend that you didn't see anything. When Ghost gets excited he forgets sometimes, so if that startled you I apologize again."

Smile was soft, opening a polished cupboard above the sink, pulling out a stainless steel bowl and filling it with water for his arch nemesis that now seemed more annoyed with him than anything… crouching to set it down on the marble tile.

[kai]Miss Wynn, Abby if you prefer…I’m not a stranger to the unusual, especially in this relatively new world of ours.[/kai] Fractured irises glanced again at the dog while still crouched, finger to his lips as if to tell the beastie not to share his secret- and he wouldn't in return. He glanced up at her with a cordial wink. [kai]Considering my line of work, I’ve heard interesting tales of beasts and magic. You never know what you could be standing next to anymore. No harm done.[/kai]

The comment was twofold, to put her at ease with her dog whose misbehavior had rifled her a bit, and to gage where her sympathies lay. He straightened, retrieving two generous mugs from the same cupboard.

"By the way, I work for the NYPD. I'm a detective and I happen to deal a lot with the violent crimes department - that includes homicide, even domestic violence. I know some people who can help you get a kick start, people who are looking for someone to talk to and classes to take. It's really nice that you'd do that."

Police. It was noted. The way she moved, he had pegged either military or law enforcement already. He took his coffee black, pouring hers and setting the fun sweet coffee trimmings next to it if she was one of those blasphemous people that took a little coffee with their cream instead.

"You'll definitely have a good start here. A lot of people are looking for someone to talk to. Sometimes it's enough to make them feel safe."

[kai]You’re very kind, I’ll give you some of my cards before you leave,[/kai] he leaned on the counter, enjoying his coffee a moment. [kai]Counselor now, am retired military. Seen enough trauma to know I could help in some way when everything changed. The scope of everything now is so much more vast, complicated. Spouses and children fundamentally transformed, infected, disappeared, killed. There is a lot of work to do. I just try to make a dent in my little corner of the world.[/kai]

He pushed off slightly and snatched an apple from the bowl on the table, shiny canines a bit too pronounced cracking into the thing. Nodding toward the table, he offered Lynne's hospitality of general fruits and other noshings spread out on the table for everyone, [kai]It isn’t lunch, but help yourself. There are grapes in the fridge too.[/kai] He took another bite, [kai]NYPD? That has to be full of excitement on an hourly basis.[/kai]

The Were was gently teasing, but more importantly he was deftly engaging her in order to do some innocent fishing. The last thing he needed was a suspicious shadow, and ultimately had to discover what side of the fence she was on.

His accent was another part of him that stood out. Judging by his seemingly casual grace, Abby couldn't help detecting that he wasn't all that he appeared to be. Secrets were still secrets, regardless of how much the world had changed. Humans can still hide who they are without having to be the embodiment of myths and lore. Abby herself had secrets of her own, and trust was a constant key issue even with a little opening up. She may be ordinary, but she took her sister's burden as her own. Family stayed family through and through, and this place could be a healthy start for relieving Margie of her inner conflict. Even Abby was fully aware of the fact that Margie couldn't share everything with her, and being a detective, she knew when to not pry but when to snoop. 

It was in her blood to investigate, to seek out answers, and solve cases. She might have to look up on Kai if she was going to recommend him to her sister, or better yet, stay old fashioned enough to gage it out here and now. Detective habits were easier to control; she wasn't one of those people who felt the need to pull up a background check on every stranger she met. It wouldn't make living what it was meant to be; a learning experience no matter how old you were. Though, the conflict was still there - to trust enough to not be a cop twenty-four-seven. Off duty meant off duty. 

"Please, just Abby." She said as she glanced about, knowing well how much of a hassle moving was - so had working on that panic room. Abby had to overseer the crew she had hired, and it wasn't a surprise that she felt the need to have one. It was how the world was these days and people felt the need to take extra precaution. So, of course none had suspected that the panic room she had was for her sister. 

Abby figured that they were safe enough for Ghost to wander around. She unleashed him and gave him a look to not start any trouble, especially with Kai since he was so gracious to let them in and offer coffee. Speaking of coffee, the smell was immediately inviting to the detective. It was a warm welcome to the start of every day, better than a 'good morning,' afternoon, or night. Time bore no relevance with coffee involved, because work was around the clock at the station. Some cases meant no sleep. 

As Abby found a chair to seat herself in, Ghost would engage in his newfound freedom. He nosed at the boxes until the human who smelled like a cat set down a bowl of water. Glacial pools rested on the stainless steel bowl and no matter how dismissive he'd been toward the human, Ghost couldn't deny how thirsty he was. He cautiously approached the bowl, switching glances between the water and the man. The gesture reminded him of Abby's playful nature, a sign that meant to keep silent until further notice. He canted his head, eying Kai until deciding: fine. He lowered his head and started lapping at the water. 

Meanwhile, Abby sat with her back to the wall, but facing both Kai and the doorway. "Tell me about it," she replied without helping the faint blush from the wink. "Work's gotten all the more interesting with things being the way they are now." She wasn't just dealing with the usual mundane suspects; criminals were a little harder to catch and little unpredictable. Not long ago did she deal with a bank robber who could defy gravity. Abby gratefully accepted the coffee. As much as she liked sweets, drinking coffee was like drinking water. She took it as it is without the sugar and cream. Gently, she blew on the hot surface as she cradled the warm mug, enjoying it just for that. Winter had yet to thaw in the concrete city of skyrise buildings.

"Oh, that'd be great!" she said about him handing her some cards. Retired military? It made total sense. She sipped her coffee and glanced down as Ghost returned to lie on his stomach at her feet. He jawned wildy, ears wriggling before relaxing. He was showing reluctant signs of approval toward the man-cat. 

"A little goes a long way - as the saying goes." She quipped, "you're still making a huge difference by stepping out and offering these services. I don't think many have that same caliber to do the same. It's a bold move, but heavily appreciated. My sis-" She paused. It had been unintentional. She hadn't plan on mentioning her sister at all, but ironic that she felt the need to divulge. There was something about Kai that was truly genuine. She had an easier time picking on shady characters, but he was something else. Not shady, no. He didn't emit any suspicious behavior, and Ghost no longer bothered him. 

"Why thank you." With a smile and a quick recovery, Abby quickly found a tangerine. She loved the little things; they were snack sized and she could eat them by the dozens. She chuckled softly while peeling the orange skin, "yeah, the NYPD's got a lot going for them. Though it's sometimes easy for people to forget about us with these other groups taking over and having jurisdiction over cases that we 'can't handle.' Nowadays, taking a case might mean going to an expert or working with one. I don't think I've had a stable partner for years. I guess for some it's easier to not come to work anymore and do something else to cope, since it hasn't exactly been that long into this... new world." She idly waved her hand about. She knew plenty of cops who were heavy drinkers before, but after the resonance, the need to escape was much stronger. 

"But then, I worked hard to get to where I am now. I wanted to do this, so I do what I have to do and what I can do. I think that's what citizens still need to see - a regular person just like me who still wants to work and help. Yes, I'm afraid, but I'm not going to let it overrule me and my belief that people are still people, and the world's more or less the same. Crime is crime, no matter who'd dunnit." She left a neat little pile of tangerine skin on the table so that she could toss later and peeled off a slice to pop into her mouth. "We may not be doing the same thing per say, but the message is still there: I'm here to help, and because you're different, I'm not going to turn you down."

He could almost hear the contemplation mulling things over in her head. Long enough understanding psychological habits, expressions, body language, he’d learned to read these far more deftly than the words that came from anybody’s lips. She was a curious one, and in their short moments of knowing each other, he wasn’t entirely convinced he wasn’t about to be interrogated in her own subtle way. It was common nature to either be curious and cautious, or oblivious if one didn’t care. She didn’t seem not to care, so it left the other.

"Please, just Abby."

He nodded, watching her unclip her beastie and sit as he drank his coffee and contemplated whether or not he had someone watching his every move from here until eternity, or someone that was on his side. Something about her, was itching at the back of his brain. Over the coffee, over the scent of the dog that was now implanted on his shirt and his pants, and the smell of her skin on his hand, something rose above it. Something he knew quite intimately, yet could not quite yet place. It was lingering on her, not so much the animal, but her.

He noted she sat with her back to the wall. Smile was light over his mug. Cop until the end. Engrained, or a habit learned from something else, intently focusing on the blood again that had lit up her skin in a blush. It warmed flesh, flesh held scent, and it was there on the edge again enough to draw over his palette as he inhaled softly- the incredibly feline habit one he was aware of. The scent itched at his nerves, but was no closer to being identified than it was before. He was a master at conversation when his brain was completely flipping through a thought process that was unrelated. Keep the words comfortable and easy, keep the person just as relaxed and questions would get answered.

"A little goes a long way - as the saying goes. You're still making a huge difference by stepping out and offering these services. I don't think many have that same caliber to do the same. It's a bold move, but heavily appreciated. My sis-"

He nodded quietly to agree he was at least trying to make a difference. Sister? Attention focused to a pinpoint. Externally he was listening quietly and working through his apple. Internally was a different story yet again. The pieces clicked together in his head. The scent was her sister, and her sister… was unusual. It rifled the territorial hackles at the base of his neck, which meant only a short list of things in this world that he would be concerned about. Lashes blinked slowly at the citrus spray lighting up the room as she peeled the tiny cutie.

"yeah, the NYPD's got a lot going for them. Though it's sometimes easy for people to forget about us with these other groups taking over and having jurisdiction over cases that we 'can't handle.'”

Vanguard. Gaze moved from a box moving past the door in someone’s hands back to her. That was a word with more complicated conditions than he could ever explain. He didn’t care about the Vanguard in the slightest, not concerned… he was their worst nightmare. A man with the viciousness, strength and senses of a Were that had been a ghost before the Event. No fear struck his chest when he heard the word. What did, was worry. It was a relatively new sensation, and he was worried for others. Mack, if they found out she was sympathetic to a Were and lying by not divulging his existence… some of his clients, the ones that had not yet found how to hide and were hunted. He’d lost focus for a moment, soft sigh as he took another long drink of coffee.

"But then, I worked hard to get to where I am now. I wanted to do this, so I do what I have to do and what I can do. I think that's what citizens still need to see - a regular person just like me who still wants to work and help. Yes, I'm afraid, but I'm not going to let it overrule me and my belief that people are still people, and the world's more or less the same. Crime is crime, no matter who'd dunnit."

He nodded to Lynne across the hall, who pointed at a box and then a place to put it.

"We may not be doing the same thing per say, but the message is still there: I'm here to help, and because you're different, I'm not going to turn you down."

Blink was slow, focusing back on her. He wondered if she really understood the depths of what she was saying. If her sister was who he thought she was, he believed so.

[kai]I’ve worked with some cops recently. All positive,[/kai] he was warming his hands on his mug, the hum of a voice that had screamed too many ‘yes sirs’ to superior officers now calm and dark in his chest. [kai]It’s the others that concern me. Vanguard. Hired guns. Other generic groups that kill for sport. The ones who claim to help humanity move forward by pitting on the ones that were once human. Makes your job a bit harder when you’re sworn to help everyone. Even the ones that are bent on destroying others, on the good or bad side of the fence. Some can't help themselves and need our support, not a bullet.[/kai]

He finished his coffee then, turning to pour himself another and approach the table to refill hers and return to his lean on the counter. Ankles crossed casually with his arms, one thumb tapping on his bicep gently as he sipped coffee with his other.

[kai]Your sister ever have any issues with them?[/kai] the quiet blink of lashes focused back on her, fractured irises of unusual green watching her reaction. It had been incredibly calm, and soft. It was a guess, an educated guess. A guess from experience. Either she would tell him to fuck off, take her beastie and leave, or she would put the pieces together herself about his identity- which he would neither confirm nor deny out loud. It was a risk, but a calculated one. He would not put his clients in danger, and would protect their secrecy at any cost. Better to know now, than when he would be forced to focus on her down the site of his rifle if she was Vanguard.

"I've worked with some cops recently. All positive," he said. 

Abby chuckled softly as she peeled off another tiny wedge of the cutie to pop into her mouth. The citrus flavor washed in her mouth, clashing with the bitter coffee but that she didn't mind. "I wouldn't be surprised. You'd be extremely useful when there are questions that need answering." She quipped after a swallow. She was almost done with her snack. 

Then her amusement dissipated when he continued. The Vanguard were among one of the most problematic groups that had surfaced since the resonance. With that rose more groups that made killing as close to a hobby. Anyone could pick it up these days, which made the world even more dangerous than it already was. It made being a cop harder when citizens can simply hire someone to do a dirty job or solve a case. You can sit in a coffee shop and not realized how many hired guns were there with you, also having a cup of coffee or latte. 

As if sensing her discomfort, Ghost rumbled. His hackles rose a bit as if he too was picturing what she was seeing. Her newfound friend proved to be an extremely useful associate to have on the field. He was her most consistent partner out of the others who had changed their minds, or left the force. Eight years wasn't long enough to get used to anything. Eight years wasn't long enough to make people forget, especially when a majority of their lives were spent in a comfortable bubble. 

She reached down distractedly, slender fingers stretching out to brush along his coarse fur until they smoothed and relaxed beneath her touch. Ghost rumbled some more, glacial orbs rolling up to cast her a concerned glance. She gently shushed him before her attention returned to the counselor leaning against the counter. She found herself no longer distracted by his looks - and a looker he was. Margie would have advised closing some distance, but Abby preferred having her personal space. She rather keep that distance so that she could mentally size up who or what she was dealing with. 

"Support," she murmured with a nod. She didn't know what else to say because she was thinking. She was a cop. She had been training to be one for so long. It was what she'd spent her whole life training for instead of becoming a teacher like her baby sister. She could see her father's face now, tired and worried that he'd lose her in this job. Police Commissioner Wynn made sure she worked, but he'd also wanted her to leave the force. 

She didn't. 

Perhaps it was something calling to her, telling her to not quit now. 

She couldn't - wouldn't - think about fate, destiny, and all that. She already had too much going in there to make room for even more outlandish ideas. It was one thing to cope with the world as it was, but another to accept more... abstract things. 

She almost jumped when he closed in to refill her coffee. The color warmed her cheeks briefly and she softly cleared her throat with a "thank you." The peeled skin was all that was left since she'd consume her snack, and she carefully gathered them together. 

"Your sister ever have any issues with them?" That question threw her off when she'd dusted her hands off. 

So, he'd caught that. Not that she'd been subtle in the first place - that slip would've lost her hand in poker. Abby sighed and Ghost decided to sit up and rest his head on her lap. Her hand slid over his head, thumb sliding behind his ear. His tail thumped softly against the floor, and Abby for a moment listened to the scrape of boxes sliding along the floor. She had yet to introduce herself to Lynne, which was rude on her part, but she was far too preoccupied. 

"My sister..." She began slow at first, and then sat up a little straighter. "My sister's name is Margie, and she hasn't met any of them yet. As far as I know, they have no idea who or what she is. She's just another person on the street." Her hazel gaze narrowed slightly in thought. Kai was in her view, calm and perceptive. Anyone who was anyone would've brushed off her slip, but he was a counselor. His job was to read people as well as he could listen to them. 

But there was also something else about him. He had stirred a reaction out of Ghost that wasn't entirely unusual, but for as long as she had the dog, he had a tendency to faun over attention, not growl at it unless he felt threatened. Kai didn't threaten Ghost in any way - it was Ghost who had found Kai first. 

She looked down for a second to stare into Ghost's icy hues. Is there something you know that I don't? She thought to herself and he merely looked up at her, ears slanting back with that curious tilt to his head. Knowing that she wasn't going to get any answers unless she pried for them, she resumed the conversation. 

"The Vanguard had approached us once. I work in a precinct in Brooklyn, but being a detective has allowed me to move around some. One day, I think about three years ago, some of them just showed up and started talking shop to the big timers. I know I do my job well, but I wasn't surprised when one of them decided to approach me too." She could see back to that day in her memory. All she could think about was Margie and whatever she'd do to keep her safe and protected from harm. "They were good at selling their ideals, but... I told them that I wasn't interested. I was raised by a Brooklyn cop, and I'm going to stay a Brooklyn cop." She chuckled a little at that. 

"I don't think they were too pleased." Although cordial, the recruiter seemed a little miff with Abby's stubborn attitude. She wasn't going to budge, although she was a normal human. She wasn't going to leave her job, nor was she going to do anything to endanger Margie. The Vanguard didn't provide any reassurance that they would help her cause. "I'd rather take my chances on looking for a cure rather than join those guys. It's not like I'm already doing the world a service by still being a cop." Now it was her turn to ask, "haven't you had any problems? Considering the career you've chosen, I would assume you'd get some of their attention." 

His own subsonic rumble answered the beastie, unconsciously.  It wasn’t aggressive, merely acknowledging.  This was his territory, and for lack of better way to describe it, he was the big dog in the house.  Eyes narrowed at Ghost over his mug, then focused back on his guest.  Her sigh at his question was noted, listening quietly with the attention of his profession.  He was always interested in finding more of his blood, though he didn’t particularly know exactly if that was the case.  There was no expectation of course for her to come out and say it either, it simply was not wise… or safe these days to say such things out loud.

The calm remained, even as she narrowed her eyes at him.  It wasn’t his place to judge, not her sister anyway, he was more interested in where Abby’s position was in all this.  From what he’d gathered so far, she was as even keel as they came.  The world needed more of them at the moment.

Her story about the Vanguard was one he was only slightly aware of.  Stories had been brought to his doorstep from some of his clients about that type of behavior, then there was his former secretary.  He smiled slightly when she did, nodding at the need to keep the Brooklyn cop tradition in the family.  The Were could relate, his parents were military… a bit different than most, but it was a family tradition.

"I don't think they were too pleased."

[kai]They never are,[/kai] smile was still light on his features but the words held a more ominous air.

"Haven't you had any problems? Considering the career you've chosen, I would assume you'd get some of their attention." 

His chuckle wasn’t meant to make light of her words, it was confirming them.  He nodded, tossing the core in the trash and retaking his spot leaning on the counter.

[kai]Been shot at a few times,[/kai] he was honest.  Normally, he would not have been but he had no idea what kind of access she had to files the Jersey cop may have had on him.  He didn’t put it past her to look him up.  It would be the ‘good cop’ thing to do, especially since they were now talking about her sister and she was divulging a bit of sensitive material… as well as personal feelings about the Vanguard.  [kai]My former secretary was recruited by her Vanguard boyfriend to kill me.  She failed.[/kai]

He turned to rinse out his cup and turn it upside-down in the strainer. 

[kai]I’m not the kind of former military that is easy to kill,[/kai] voice was quiet, reaching into the fridge to pull out another water.  [kai]Being a secretary for me requires a lot of insider knowledge.  I’ve taken even more precautions now, but even then they were substantial.  She was angry with me because I don’t believe in mixing business with a relationship.  Hell hath no fury,[/kai]  he cracked it open and decimated about half in one tip.  [kai]She thought I was just a counselor when she looked for ways to 'get me back'.  I thought we had come to terms with an understanding, apparently her coming to terms meant finding someone to kill me.[/kai]

Quiet a moment, he watched the dog.

[kai]If you’d like to bring Margie to speak with me, I’d love to help her out.  You’d get a bit more information on my qualifications, might be able to offer some solutions.[/kai]

He was vague.  Those that were in ‘the know’ could connect the dots, those that weren’t would see him as a simple philanthropist.  Either way, if she trusted him enough to bring her in- Miss Abby would know quickly why he was so qualified.  He was certain Margie would tell her.

"You and me both." She too was honest, but she was far more curious about his end. As a cop, it was a given that she was going to get shot at. That couldn't be helped. As for Kai, she required a little more information. Granted that she was getting a fairly good read on his body language, one couldn't be too sure on just those details alone.

A brow quirked, "now that's one hell of a memoir to write." Those cases weren't unusual. In fact, they were a little too common, especially in issues of infedility. She had a good friend who was a private investigator with one too many stories that were similar, but Kai's story was garnished with Vanguard influence. She wasn't deterred by his chuckling however. Sometimes you got to make light of a situation. The mind could only deal with so much. 

Feeling that she was sitting for too long, Abby decided to stand. She patted Ghost's head first to let him know, and he slid out of the way. "It seems wiser to take more precaution. It's not easy finding people you can trust." She chuckled softly with a shake to her head. Hell hath no fury than a woman's scorn. 

Abby pushed in her chair as she mulled over Kai's offer about bringing Margie in. Ghost, sensing Kai's look, flicked his glacial hues to the human. A slight tilt to his head indicated that he was not challenging Kai anymore, merely acknowledging him back with a less threatening stare. The husky now understood that this wasn't his territory, but Abby was his human. 

They were treading on egg shells at this moment - the 'whether or not she knew.' Abby's gaze soon followed Ghost's to rest thoughtfully on Kai. It would only take a moment before she drew away from the chair, "I think Margie would like that... very much." There was only so much Abby could do or say. Perhaps Kai would be able to counsel Margie in ways she couldn't. He was the expert after all...

"I hope I'm not in the way of your renovations. It was really nice of you to let us in and all that... but, do you think you have room for a mini tour?" 

"Now that's one hell of a memoir to write."

He chuckled, looking at the toe of his scuffed and dust covered military issue boot, [kai]my life would be an interesting one for sure.[/kai]

Understatement of the year.  As far as he knew, he was rare even before the world went to hell.  After?  He was the only one of his kind he knew of like him, infected, yet not, the visions which he still saw in his nightmares more terrifying than he could ever explain to anyone.  The feel of his body being everywhere and nowhere at the same time, one foot in reality, one in oblivion.  At least those that had been bitten knew what they may have been in for… himself, pure disorientation until he realized what was happening.

"It seems wiser to take more precaution. It's not easy finding people you can trust."

[kai]No, it’s not.  But, they’re easier to come by than they used to be.  More understanding, less fear in a sense because knowledge is starting to balance the scale a bit.[/kai]

Hence his offering to help her sister, and by proxy Abby herself.

"I think Margie would like that... very much."

Nod was slight, but the smile was warm.  There were things he could give Abby now that she would appreciate if he could confirm her sister was Were.  All his senses said yes

"I hope I'm not in the way of your renovations. It was really nice of you to let us in and all that... but, do you think you have room for a mini tour?" 

[kai]Always.  It’s nice being the boss.  Let me introduce you to Lynne.[/kai]

Pushing quietly off the counter, he brought his water with him, crossing to the reception area and Lynne unpacking a box.

[kai]Lynne, this is Miss Abby Wynn, a local in the area as well as a member of the local law enforcement.[/kai] he nodded.  [kai]I’ll  let you two chat for a moment, I’ll be right back.[/kai]

He slipped into his office quietly, leaving Abby with his older secretary for a moment.  She’d reminded him of a librarian, strong as a horse, the sweater, the beaded lanyard for her glasses.  She was trustworthy, honest and empathetic. Someone he definitely needed around the place.  Unlocking a drawer on his desk he pulled out a thin rectangular case and returned to set it on top of Lynne's desk.  He would retrieve it for Abby later but didn’t want to forget it.  But first, the tour.  He gestured for her to follow, debating how much of the premises to share.  Main floor, definitely… downstairs?

Still in question.

So far, Kai was doing good in her book. She felt a little more at ease the more time she spent with him, and Ghost was no longer bothered by whatever had spooked him before. In fact, the husky seemed at home at this point, although 'respectable' of Kai's space. It was a curious thing watching Ghost sometimes. He seemed a little more... human than dog; very aware and intellectual of things that humans would be quick to catch on. Though, the more time she and Ghost spent together, and with him being 'hers,' it created this... connection, in which she was able to read her pet with little problems. 

It wasn't that she'd become the 'dog whisperer,' but she found herself able to understand Ghost almost as well as she could understand people. Being a detective meant having a backround in psycology - emphasis: criminal. However, it made reading people a valuable asset, because people could speak more than words and reveal more by just movement alone. A show she'd come to value was Lie to Me starring Tim Roth. It managed to stay true to how universal physical expressions were. With Ghost, she managed to pick up on whether or not he was comfortable or agitated. Right now, he was at peace. 

"I can only imagine." Abby said with a half grin, "my father was Police Commisioner in the Brooklyn Precinct, but I have yet to decide on whether or not I should walk in his shoes. They seem quite big." Finally, she would meet his secretary. The most disarming woman by sight, but perhaps one who shouldn't be taken lightly. If Kai trusted her enough, then she was definitely an impressive woman. 

"Hey Lynne." She said, "hopefully I'm not bothering you guys with the moving and all that. I know what's it like." She hadn't lived in this area long, having been Brooklyn born, but she had grown accustomed to the area. New York was a vast place, and the city itself were full of wonders and dangers. She peeked in on the reception area, nodding to Kai as he left on his errand. 

They made small talk as Ghost sniffed around, and practically wuffled for Lynne's attention. She smelled human, therefore he wanted luffs. Abby tried not to roll her eyes as Lynne gushed over the overgrown pup. The white husky's tongue lolled out, and Abby leaned against the doorframe with an amused grin. 

At Kai's signal, she bid Lynne farewell and whistled quietly for Ghost to follow. The husky whined, nuzzling Lynne's hand one last time before trailing after his master. "All right, Kai, where shall we begin?" 

Fingers tapped a moment on the sleek aluminum case, spindled green meeting Lynne’s eyes to pass along a small bit of unspoken information to the woman before he turned his attention again on Abby and smiled.  He was also anxious to see what Lynne thought of her when she decided to go about her way.  Lynne looked at him apologetically, knowing the sensitivity of the man’s senses, but she also had a thing for animals… which would explain why she was so sympathetic to Weres.   She would be scrubbing down her hands before she went into his office or touched any of his things.  His office was off limits to the construction chaos, a little bit of solace at least to the overly sensitive Were.

"All right, Kai, where shall we begin?”

In the meantime though, a tour.

[kai]These are of course my offices.  Lynne runs the central area here, my office there… [/kai] he started on his way, nodding toward another hallway.  [kai]Waiting rooms there, not everyone wants to be seen waiting for counseling. It’s also safer too, in case they’re followed here.  Sometimes spouses get angry and try to force them to leave.  This way they can’t just walk in, grab their other half and leave.  It’s also a place to calm after a particularly difficult session.  I never let anyone go home upset.[/kai]

Stroll was casual, back toward the front of the building away from the back offices.

[kai]All this, is training.[/kai]

The room where she’d found him was immense, covering the entirety of the bank lobby.  Benches along the windows had already been installed, a small area for water, coats, shoes.

[kai]What’s great is we have it all to ourselves now.  The former facility I used to rent was nice, but it had other classes.  We had to put away equipment every session.  People would come in and out that I couldn’t control, am particularly sensitive to heavy perfumes and cologne.  Gives me migraines,[/kai]  understatement of the year.  It made him aggressive.  Triggered outbursts that were hard to rein in.

Slower footsteps took him toward the far side of the building to where walls were being framed and a separate entrance.

[kai]Should have plumbing in by the end of the week.  These will be the locker rooms.  Doors over there lead to a secure parking lot.  An old bank was a perfect fit for this, really.  Safety already  thought of, just a few modifications for my needs and it’s prime.[/kai]

Thoughts were moving, the longer she was next to him, the more the scent that clung to her was beginning to take shape in his brain.  He stopped finally on the trek back to Lynne’s desk, a separate part of the building that was accessible from his office area, nodding toward the elevators with touch panels.

[kai]Basement vaults.  I have some ideas what to do with them, but as of right now they aren’t necessary to get the place up and running so they’re last on the list. [/kai]  He finished his water and picked up the small aluminum case.  [kai]Anything I missed that you’d like to see, Miss Abby?[/kai]

Abby followed Kai with a curiosity akin to what might be a child in a candy shop. She, of course, knew what standard offices looked like. She basically worked in one. Though, the police stations had open desks. The higher ups get their own offices. Ghost had his nose on the ground, ears softly wriggling while tail wagged, glad that he was on the move. He would've dozed off, but he didn't want any funny business on his watch. He'd rather keep a watchful eye on everyonething.

She nodded, glad to hear about the privacy level here. It was above standards, and gave her more reason to talk to Margie about coming here. "That's really good to hear," she replied to his work about not letting anyone leave upset. Work could get tough for Margie. Being an elementary school teacher was both a stress and a relief. The amount of control she must have to deal with children and their emotions. Often, they were good sports, but for every good carton of eggs there was always one or two bad ones that could try and ruin your day. 

The training room was... to put it bluntly, huge. Abby's eyes were huge. Even the academy's training rooms couldn't compare. "The problem with public rooms; it's never really private and the equipment aren't really yours. Here, you'll have better control with the flow. It's amazing, Kai." She murmured. Ghost gave a wuffle out of curiosity's sake, and the accoustics echoed back. She chuckled, "I never wore any before, and because of my sister's condition, it helps to knew that I shouldn't even bother with those things anyway. And, I don't think it's necessary to wear any sorts if you're going to train. It's like going to the gym with full on make-up - doesn't make sense." 

The slip was unconscious. It meant that Abby was increasingly comfortable with talking to Kai. 

"Seems like you got this whole place figured out," she said as they left the impressive training room. It was comparable to a dance hall, if not bigger. "A bank is one of the safest buildings around. Sounds about right." Her gaze was always darting from one thing to another, noting minor details and memorizing routes. Once they were by the elevators, Ghost trekked ahead to poke his nose through - literally. His tail was still wagging as he 'ghosted' his head through the wall and he moved back with a bark. She shook her head, a half apologetic grin on her face toward Kai. 

"C'mere boy, let Kai do the tour." She teased the husky. Another treat, and the overgrown pup was glued to her side. 

"The basemen vaults - oh!" For a second, she had forgotten because of Ghost's ability to easily distract her with his cuteness. Her hand idly brushed along his scalp, digging behind his ear so that he was seated respectfully on his haunches, tail thumping against the floor. "Well, since this is still a bank, do you plan on keeping the security features?" She asked, hazel eyes on Kai. There was a long silence on her part, whether it was for him to reply or not, Abby would speak again. 

"My sister and I have a... sort of room installed in the basement of our home. It isn't the room that's the problem, it's... that I can't be there for her all the time, as much as I want to be there every night it happens. I've been trying my best, Kai, and I'm all that she has. I just want her to know that she isn't alone dealing with all that." She could hear how much more agitated the wolf's gotten during those nights. It was aggressive enough to make Ghost cower with his paws over his nose, whining. "If you meet her now, you wouldn't suspect any of that. She acts like she has everything going as planned, like she's got a good head on her shoulders. But deep down, she's suffering. Even with me there, I know she feels alone and she hates having to relying on other people with her problems, but I tell her often that there are others going through this too. If they have someone to talk to, then so does she. I hate having to see her try and handle this all by herself. I know that it makes her lonely and even with me there, there's still this gap between us that I can't fill." 

Perhaps it was the tour that had led to this point, or the sight of the elevators that led down to the high security vaults. But it had opened Abby plenty about Margie, although she hadn't downright said what her sister's condition was. The truth was in the air, in the silence between them. The knowing was in his eyes, and it had been up to Abby whether or not she should reveal it. 

"The problem with public rooms; it's never really private and the equipment aren't really yours. Here, you'll have better control with the flow. It's amazing, Kai."

Quiet expression surveyed the room and the various levels of work that were still taking place.   Words like hers were making dents in the layers of indifference he was plagued with, slowly starting to peel away.  He was broken, maybe he’d been broken from day one.  His work, made it worse, the Resonance, made it a nightmare.  The Were was slowly starting to grasp a concept of humanity instead of simply, nothing….or kneejerk anger and violence.  He knew how to act, when to smile, to laugh, what to say so that nobody ever expected the true wickedness that was buried just under the surface… except this smile was not one of those times. It was proud.  He was actually proud of his work, it was a strange sensation.

"I never wore any before, and because of my sister's condition, it helps to knew that I shouldn't even bother with those things anyway.." 

He never got the need for it either.  The need to take a shower?  Yes, acceptable.  To cover the scent of clean skin with horrible chemical things?  Gooseflesh rippled across his shoulders.  He hated it, the twinge of thought ticking at the back of his brain.  If he caught her slip about her sister, he didn’t visually make any indication, the metaphorical cat in the pit of his gut satiated with its ‘I told you so’ instinct.  He’d scented something when he first met her that raised his hackles that clung to her and her pooch, now it was just confirmed it wasn’t a run of the mill issue.

"Seems like you got this whole place figured out, A bank is one of the safest buildings around. Sounds about right."

Nod was small, he’d specifically looked for one.  With the level of stupid that could be laid out in the shortest of notice nowadays, it was the safest for him and his clients.  Really.  Some would say the safest thing for anyone was for him to just leave the city completely.  It was complicated. Though completely solitary and viciously territorial, he needed people to even the tilt of his psyche back to center.  As a man, he was an unfeeling machine… a Were?  A hairtriggered nightmare.  Somehow the responsibility to care of people made the difference.  A mission… so to speak.

Lips cracked smile at her pet, it was an interesting thing.

"The basemen vaults - oh!"

Brows came up, the seriousness of his former expression easily sliding away to acknowledge the question he thought might be coming.

“Well, since this is still a bank, do you plan on keeping the security features?"

Nod was easy, [kai]and adding a few more.  The basement vaults will be completely off limits to anyone other than myself.[/kai]

"My sister and I have a... sort of room installed in the basement of our home. It isn't the room that's the problem, it's... that I can't be there for her all the time, as much as I want to be there every night it happens. I've been trying my best, Kai, and I'm all that she has. I just want her to know that she isn't alone dealing with all that."

Bingo.  Hands slid calmly into his pockets, listening to the similar story of so many, the fractured green on her quietly.

“If you meet her now, you wouldn't suspect any of that. She acts like she has everything going as planned, like she's got a good head on her shoulders. But deep down, she's suffering. Even with me there, I know she feels alone and she hates having to relying on other people with her problems, but I tell her often that there are others going through this too. If they have someone to talk to, then so does she. I hate having to see her try and handle this all by herself. I know that it makes her lonely and even with me there, there's still this gap between us that I can't fill." 

[kai]It’s also dangerous for you too,[/kai] the small case was picked up and handed to her, it sounded so familiar.  It was like she was reiterating his own problems right back at him.

Eyes cast again toward the elevator doors.  He hadn’t made a decision about them yet, whether or not to keep them to himself or allow others that needed them to use.  There were four vaults, and he was solitary.  He did not spend a lot of time with other Weres, and preferred not to- but he understood the importance of at least educating one another and the humans close to them to be safer for the community at large.  He did take time to speak with them, usually on neutral ground.  Weres were not the stories of myth.  As people, they avoided each other.  As Weres, they were extremely dangerous with a complete lack of lucidity, territorial, and hated to be caged.  He’d never caged himself, he usually just knocked his ass out with tranquilizers and left the rest to fate in the wilderness.  It always made for interesting mornings waking up buck naked in the middle of a field, but there were worse things he could think of.  He did know to cage oneself meant rage, and that was probably what was happening to Abby’s sister.  Was it just a matter of time before she turned on Abby?  He didn’t know, and for her sake he hoped not.

He nodded toward the case, bypassing all the insinuations and deciding to stop dancing around them, motioning for her to join him in his office only to close the door softly behind.  What he had to say was not for the construction crew, or anyone else to hear.

[kai]I had those specially made and give them out for free in sets of two whenever needed.  Since you work for the police, they’re nice to have on hand for yourself and others.  You can have as many as you need, I’ll let Lynne know.  This business pays for them.  It’s an epi-pen construction for the L-virus.  Even though she’s your sister, there’s always a chance you could get scratched, or even bitten.  You’re blood, but the risk is still there she may not know you.  Caging, increases the rage,[/kai] voice was incredibly quiet, the hum of decades of screaming “yes sir” at superiors making the timbre softly dark. 

Lynne had started his small coffee pot in his office, it was why he adored her as his secretary.  She knew.  He poured himself a mug of black and one for Abby if she wished, brushing the dust off himself and sitting in one of his plush leather chairs.  There two chairs were facing each other, a small coffee table in between and a couch under the window.   He set the mug down on the table and motioned to the chair if she wished to sit, watching her dog for a moment with quirked brows before they moved back to her with the conviction of no more bullshitting.

[kai]I’ve never locked myself up.  I always leave the city and tranquilize.  It helps, but doesn't solve the problem. My plan is to lock myself in the biggest vault on the next moon and see what happens.  If they can hold me, I'm pretty sure they can hold anything.  Problem is, the keypads on the inside need to be removed or they'd just get destroyed.  Someone is needed to open the door in the morning until I figure out some sort of innocuous manual release on the inside,[/kai] he took a slow drink of his coffee, the conversation easy like he was talking about the weather.  [kai]Then, perhaps a combination of a lock-up and putting myself to sleep for as long as possible might be the safest alternative.  I would never suggest it to anyone else, until I know it works for sure with me.[/kai]

Eyes had found the window, watching the rifling of snow before looking back to her.  It was a long shot, but with recent events... he just couldn't leave the city anymore.

Archived