SITE NEWS
  • EXCITING NEW PLOTS COMING SOON, LOOK FOR UPCOMING POSTS IN THE PLOTTING AREA THAT WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL ON THE SITE TO JOIN!!

He was not privy to the conversation happening in the cockpit, long sigh as jade eyes watched the darkness of clouds flitter by.  She needed to get above them, or the turbulence would not be to his liking, let alone Gabe’s.  Seems they were playing a game of glances, unreadable gaze resting back on the dark eyes that watched him from the front of the plane.  Expression was made amiable for a moment, recognizing the man’s need for some sort of reciprocation.  In truth, deep down he felt very cold, angry, and scared.  There was always a lingering fear in the back of his mind, it never quite went away.  Surrounded by security in a lab coat, he himself even armed on the more dangerous of places he had chosen to go to… his brain had always been a curse.  Search for knowledge insatiable and leading to the most hostile of places- it was always an equal toss-up between wanting to help humanity and the pursuit of knowledge.  Solving the problem.

It was always about solving the problem.

Now, it was about who he went to bed with- in more ways than one.  He couldn’t lie and say he wasn’t a bit sullen at being ambushed.  This was not just a fucking vacation.  Accepting Gabe’s need to handle business was one thing, but not really having a choice to accompany him was another.  He hadn’t realized until that moment how bitter he still was at being snatched from the street while chasing Maree.  It was understood why, but someone making the decision for him did not sit well and this just compounded on the entire situation.

He honestly didn’t know what he would answer.  He loved his freedom, and had to admit the relationship with the vampire had been a bit stifling.  Coming and going as he pleased was tough with Jacob keeping an eye on him.  He just wanted… to work, and have Gabe happy.  He was never just… happy, and the Czech didn’t know how to help.

Swallowing, his ears began to pop as he watched the Spaniard pick up the ground phone.  Brow cocked at the pilot.  She was… good, waiting until the man was distracted before pulling the plane into the second half of its ascension, eyes flicking back to the window as they rose above the gloomy night into the sky above the cloud cover.

He was leaning out of his seat before he knew it, reaching for his glasses in his inner pocket to slide them on before fingertips touched the glass and he just stared outward; a child admiring a Red Rider BB gun… He’d never seen it from this height before, the azure and purple streak across the sky engulfing the entirety of his attention as Eris leveled off and Gabe made his way back.

[bodhan]You drink too much,[/bodhan]  words were quiet, hearing the liquid fall into the glass without even looking.  His brain was itching as he stared into the endless sky. 

"…I want to be very clear. The Nation is not even aware you are coming. And if they ever came after you, it would be a betrayal of me, freeing me of my pledge. I will choose you over the Nation….. every time."

[bodhan]I don’t want you to,[/bodhan]  head cocked slightly at the window, voice still low.  [bodhan]I just want you be happy.  You’re never just happy.[/bodhan] 

Glasses were pushed up then, the carefully polished curls pushing back with them, fingers reaching to loosen his tie as he sat back in his chair to face the man. 

[bodhan]I don’t have responsibilities anymore, but I don’t need a caretaker.  I got the short end of the power stick, and I'm not going to live my life in fear because there are those more powerful than me.  Every overlord has an agenda.  They manipulate, and lie to you.   They are loyal until they no longer get what they want.  I don’t know if I want to jump into that snakepit again… hell, I don't even know if the Nation falls into that category yet... but I also don’t want you to be divided, and I want you and your kind to be safe.[/bodhan]

Lower lip was rolled through his teeth, the situation with the hotel had obviously shaken him more than he let on.  Smile was affectionate, worried for the man... and others like him.  Nobody deserved to be treated like animals, or wiped from existence.  If he had thought of it, others had too.  It was on his mind, and they had eight hours.  He needed to get it out or his head would split.

Eyes glanced to the cockpit, loosening his tie a bit more.

[bodhan]How would you defer the fitter solution from the initialization process into a pre-existing selection when there is only access to a random sample population?[/bodhan]

It was directed at Eris.  Attended his seminar did she?  Yah, it was on.

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

"He isn't a "thing" for them to have. Its up to him."

Brow cocked slightly.  So it was going to be like that.  She had enough shit on him at that point to stuff a sock in it, his declaration of what her seats could handle bringing an outright melodic laugh from her lips.  Her laughter wasn’t rare, it was just well chosen.  She’d often wondered what Reid would have decided if he’d still been alive, or whether or not her loyalty would have found its way to the Nation.  She didn’t envy his position, not one bit.

"I have had that thigh sweat before… nothing but bitter and full of claws."

[eris]Got that right.[/eris]

It was under her breath, and very telling of her own nature of the world, preparing to ascend to a cruising height to get out of the turbulence she knew would be coming shortly.  Damn brute had no sense of humor, abrasive again at her attempt to cool him.

"..people were meant to stay on the ground…"

[eris]Only if they don’t want me to save them.[/eris]

The weight of her words echoed far beyond their current situation.  Any rumors, any whispers that she had been the one to risk her life to save those that the Nation held most dear were answered in that second.  She’d done it before, she would do it again.  Silence fell over the cockpit, reaching up to dim the lights as he picked up the phone and began his conversation with her little techie.  She liked to run the plane as dark as possible.  It wasn’t likely there was anything in the air with them; there was no way she would take the chance.  Who knew exactly what was out there anymore?  From fubar military to some kind of flying beastie, she wanted to just slice through the air undetected.

Smooth brow furrowed at the conversation.  Not good.  Crackle into her headset caught her attention, lifting it to listen.  There was nothing this far out, interesting.  Weather navigation was flicked on. She knew exactly what was ahead of them, checking it anyway.  They were pretty clear, it was almost as if…

"…thanks."

[eris]Anytime.  Hat offer stands.[/eris]

One side of the headset was lifted back to her ear.  Did she just hear a ground radar hail? The main grid had been down for years.  Nobody checked in as they passed through the old boundaries anymore.  Curious.  All exterior lights were immediately turned off, spinning her frequency as she lifted the mic slightly.

[eris]Vesper.  Radar sweep, all frequencies.[/eris]

She was too high at that point for anyone to have a visual, she could swing out and avoid everyone but it would also be taxing on fuel.  She’d hold for now until word came back, not expecting the genius to finally talk to her.

"How would you defer the fitter solution from the initialization process into a pre-existing selection when there is only access to a random sample population?"

Brow cocked slightly.

[eris]In what context.[/eris]

Words were dry, seemed he wanted to play… still listening intently for her answer in the headset.

[gabriele]..people were meant to stay on the ground…[/gabriele][eris]Only if they don’t want me to save them.[/eris]

Soft smirked rumble in his chest seemed to betray a chuckle. He knew her reputation, perhaps more than most as he had an unknown seat at the inner circle of the Sheut Nation as Executioner. Her name was often used. But it wasn’t her reputation that made him like her. It was everything else. Her blunt straightforwardness was worth more than most people's sworn loyalties.

[gabriele]..thanks.[/gabriele][eris]Anytime. Hat offer stands.[/eris]

This time the rare warm sound really bubbled up in his chest. The chuckle like spring thunder on warm skies before he slid back to pour a fresh drink and join his companion.

[bodhan]You drink too much..[/bodhan]

He blinked at the Czech. Since when did he think the Spaniard drank too much? Ok so he wasn’t exactly a light weight drinker…. come to think of it, ever since he discovered his "identity" and began suppressing it some twenty years ago, he had taken to a certain amount of daily drowning. That was part of his problem, his tolerance now was beyond impressive. It was rare that he ever fell to a drunken stupor anymore. Bodhan had certainly never seen him intoxicated. Was he worried for his health? Could vampires destroy their liver? Brow quirked strangely upward as he had never considered that before.

Glass was set back on the table only half drunk as he promised to choose the Czech over the Nation he had sworn himself to.

[bodhan]…..I don’t want you to… I just want you to be happy. You're never just happy.[/bodhan]

Dark lashes blinked slowly, studying the younger man as he remained fixated out the window. Was he right? The Spaniard's life was a trail of blood and death. There were few glimmers of real happiness that he could recall. But there were a few, recently.

The amber flecked dark eyes looked at the side of the Czech's face, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his lips as memories flickered behind them. The younger man's fingers on his own trying to teach him to use chopsticks, lying on the roof of the club watching the Czech look at the sky through a telescope as he yammered on about the Nevus with explanations the Spaniard didn’t really understand but simply loved to listen to, a particular marathon night that had started in his office in the club and made its way to the bar, then halfway up the stairs, then their kitchen and finally resolving itself in the master bathroom with water all over the floor, candles burning down to the wick as they spent over two hours talking in the tub… and most of that had been directed by the Czech, not the normally "in charge" Spaniard. Whispered words were almost shy.

[gabriele]That’s not true. I have been learning to be… just happy.[/gabriele]

The eyes averted out the window as a faint hint of color managed to force itself through the ashen pallor. The gaze focused complete attention however on the Czech when he spoke of overlords and the snakepits one often found themselves jumping into. He understood well his concerns, they were valid. Would he become a part of Sheut now? He was not the same Spaniard that Ausar had found back in 2011, unable to stop his own slaughtering and desperate for salvation. If he were approached now, he would likely have the same hesitation as the Czech.

The quiet hung almost comfortably between them a moment before the Spaniard's quiet tones broke through the hum of the engines, for the first time using his real name in front of another, since Eris had known who he was before, she already knew his name.

[gabriele]I am not divided Bodhan….. that is why I have no question at all where my commitment would lie if challenged.[/gabriele]

The Spaniard was proving to be a bit of a mush when it came to affection. It was all new to him, but he knew what he felt. But the Czech's glance to the cockpit and strange question left him a bit baffled as he glanced over his shoulder at her equally strange response. The blink was slow as he looked back to the Czech inquisitively, the topic eluded him. For all his intelligence and self taught knowledge, there were times he felt truly inadequate beside the scientist.

Glass resting back on the table did not escape him. He wasn’t sure if the Spaniard just never thought about it, or he had hit a nerve.   From what he’d gathered of the kind, they weren’t dead. If they weren’t dead, they could die.  If they could die, who really knew what would eventually kill them and what wouldn’t.  He was itching to study them, not really sure how to breach the subject without Gabe feeling like a lab rat.  When he dropped the bombshell of not wanting Gabe to make decisions based on him, he thought the vampire was going to cry.  He had no responsibilities, save for himself, Maree and Gabriele.  He understood the man had loyalties, but with loyalties came a happiness outside them.  The older man had to find a balance.  The Czech had lived a life surrounded by death, he stopped death for so many… sometimes unable to stave it off for so many others before he could intervene.  Regardless, he still found joy.

"That’s not true. I have been learning to be… just happy."

[bodhan]Doesn’t always feel that way.[/bodhan]

"I am not divided Bodhan….. that is why I have no question at all where my commitment would lie if challenged."

[bodhan]You think they would just let you go?[/bodhan]

He knew this game.  When you were valuable, vows meant nothing to those that wanted you more.  Promises and commitments were made, and broken.

[bodhan]You can’t think they would just let you go,[/bodhan]  voice was so quiet he barely heard it himself.  The Czech had not gotten ahead and stayed alive by trusting the words of men in charge.  They would either kill the Spaniard, or use the Czech to make him do what they wanted.  Or, kill them both.  He didn’t think for a second it would be any different.  It wouldn’t surprise him in the slightest if the issue at the hotel stemmed from the Nation, or had been directly instructed by it.  Then again, it could just as well be someone else.  He’d seen such horrible things, he didn’t put it past any organization. [bodhan]Seems I have to be two steps ahead of the game again.  If you choose to tell them to fuck off, they need to understand to mess with you is a death sentence that I am not afraid to unleash.  I’m attached to you, that’s my ultimatum.[/bodhan]

It was the most of a yes he could muster, but he would have to be on his toes.  It felt good, somewhat…not wasting a moment to sling the question toward the self-proclaimed genius flying the plane.  He knew her, and unlike her reputation in the Sheut world that he was unaware of, her repute in the human one wasn’t as amiable.  She had the tendency to piss off her colleagues when on a project.  It was a no no.  You never alienated your team.  Most times, he was a cordial fun loving nerd on jobs.  Other times, when it came to his own singular work… he was an arrogant bastard.  He had earned the right to be. This was one of those times.  It had been a while since he’d proven his worth to anyone. 

[eris]In what context.[/eris]

Not a bad start, she at least knew enough to ask for delineation. 

[bodhan]Isolated destabilization of hemoglobin in viral form, or an airborne inoculation targeted at a specific population.[/bodhan]

He felt the incredible weight of dark eyes snap to him through her rear reflector.  She got it.

Keen attention had not missed the exterior wing lights being turned off.  He reached for the amaretto for the first time and poured himself a glass, outside of his shoe sliding between the Spaniard’s comfortably- keeping his observation to himself.  Fingers rubbed between his eyes.  This whole issue had been on his mind for a while, abandoned because he’d gotten stuck.  Forcing himself through an answer was never a pleasant experience, and the betrayal of his worry brought age to the Czech’s face that never seemed to be there before.

[bodhan]If somehow they got a piece of you, you’re the primary source.  Could be, catastrophic.  I will figure this out first.[/bodhan]

[bodhan]Doesn’t always feel that way.[/bodhan] [gabriele]…perhaps look harder.[/gabriele]

The very soft reply came as eyes shyly hid watching out the window, looking at nothing in particular. He often watched the Czech when the younger man wasn’t looking. He was still trying to come to terms with what he felt, how it made him feel. But in the quiet moments when the Czech had no clue he was being observed, the Spaniard let the world fall away. The blood on his hands, the solitary life he had led, the emotionless executioner he had become.. all of it fell away in those quiet moments when only the foreign happiness filled his chest. He might not know yet how to express it, but that didn’t mean he didn’t feel it.

[bodhan]You think they would just let you go?[/bodhan]

The dark eyes shifted to look at the Czech once more, something dangerous behind the amber flecked brown gaze.

[gabriele]…. you think they would have a choice?[/gabriele]

There wasn’t an ounce of arrogance or bluster in the soft words. There was a reason the Spaniard was chosen as Executioner, few imagined even Ausar would have an easy time going against the skill of the man that had spent his entire life learning how to survive everything and kill anything.

[bodhan]You cant think they would just let you go.[/bodhan][gabriele]…no…they wouldn’t… and they know they need to weigh carefully what they are willing to lose if they don’t.[/gabriele]

The amount of blaspheme spouted as honest truth from the Spaniard was unheard of with Eris so near. Strange that he didn’t once think she would use any of it against him unless he himself were in the wrong. There wasn’t another living Sheut he would be willing to say such things in front of. Eris?... that was different. They barely knew eachother and yet she felt like… blood. SHE might kick his ass for something, but she wasn’t one to "tattle".

[bodhan] Seems I have to be two steps ahead of the game again. If you choose to tell them to fuck off, they need to understand to mess with you is a death sentence that I am not afraid to unleash. I’m attached to you, that’s my ultimatum .[/bodhan]

The dark gaze didn’t "laugh" at the threat at all. If there was something he knew without a doubt it was that the Czech didn’t make blustered threats. The look held without a flutter as the nod came.

[gabriele]If you decide to join, be sure to tell them that. They will recognize the truth. [/gabriele]

It was Oracle that would know the truth. The muse at Ausar's side was the lie detector of the Sheut Nation. With such a declaration, Bodhan would be only the second to ever make a conditional entry into Sheut. But something told the Spaniard that Ausar would understand and permit it without question, particularly knowing the Executioner was attached to the Czech.

Brow lifted as the two had their scientific exchange, that small insecurity itching again in his ear as the conversation was indecipherable to him…. that was until the Czech mentioned something about targeting a specific population. The Spaniard had a suspicion he was talking about something weaponized in the air, like a poison. The foot sliding between his own on the floor offered some comfort before the feeling of inadequacy in the conversation took too much hold. Deep breath letting go the creeping sensation as his own foot slid till their ankles touched, a simple comfort that relaxed the tensed shoulders.

[bodhan] If somehow they got a piece of you, you’re the primary source. Could be, catastrophic. I will figure this out first. [/bodhan]

The dark eyes were silently thoughtful as moments slid by. He got it now. He also knew there was something that might help the Czech in his search for "figuring it out". A Sheut secret that only the inner circle was privy to.

[gabriele]..there is something… in our knowledge….[/gabriele]

Gaze flicked a bit over his shoulder towards the cockpit, aware that Eris would not have been granted the secret, she was not close enough in, not yet. THIS he would not share openly, not without permission.

[gabriele]..something that might help you figure it out. [/gabriele]

Soft words were pretty clear he couldn’t decide to tell on his own, but they were intense enough to share that it was a big secret. It was something he always had thought would be important to the scientist. But while he was willing to push the boundaries in the gray areas, this was a black and white betrayal of the Nation and that far he wouldn’t go.

Bump in the air shook any calm from the vampire once more, foot almost kicking Bodhan's as his hands snapped again to hold the arm rests, almost feeling like Eris had done it on purpose, annoyed perhaps she had no clue what he was talking about? Of course blaming turbulence on the pilot was like blaming dead waters on the fisherman. Still…….

God he hated to fly.

The Czech's words stung, a small dent in the impenetrable armor of her Sheut arrogance.  She was saved by this blood, given a second chance to right the wrongs against her; an opportunity to be loyal to those that appreciated it and to castigate those that had fucked her over.  Sheut would fight for her instead of hate her for her intelligence and skills. Humans were assholes, they had always been bitches.. they would continue to be bastards.  His suggestion that they could wipe out the Sheut by corrupting their own biology cemented the belief- she fucking hated humans.  His suggestion itched at her brain and she wanted to delve into a conversation, but she had bigger fish to fry at the moment.  It brought a wrinkle to the deceivingly youthful forehead, twisted with the concern for the radio silence.  She pulled her headset on quietly, removing herself from her passengers' conversation, watching the flight tracker carefully.

There was nothing on it.

Fingers moved through all the radio frequencies, she hadn't imagined it. Sudden dip of the plane catching her breath.  Something wasn't right.

*npc*  What’s on your radar?

It was Mouse’s voice. Mouse was not one to speak over radio. 

[eris]Nothing. Clear.[/eris]

*npc*  Fuck.  Follow this heading, do not stray.

She reset the giant machine of hurtling death to Mouse’s instructions, waiting for the explanation.  Trying to ease the dip of the wing to the right as light as possible to not alarm the big Spaniard.  They were heading out over dark water earlier than expected.

*npc*  You’ll have enough fuel, you’re fine.

Mouse’s deadpan delivery of every word never hinted anything that the vampire could glean.

*npc*  Fucking sky crack. Ignore your weather radar, stay on that heading.  Something brewing north too.  Might be the fucking volcano again. Who knows.  Might get bumpy.

Shit.

[eris]Roger.  Radar sweep?[/eris]

She was trying to be as brief as possible, knowing the Spaniard could hear her, wanting to betray nothing of any problems.

*npc*  Yah, you got  a ping.  Activity up toward Canada.  Been watching it since you took off. Ignore it, I’ll shut it down.  Unless it’s a dragon…  then you’re fucked.

Smirk was light, she could be funny when she wanted to be.

[eris]Keep me posted until we’re out of range.[/eris]

*npc*  Sure thing.

Thank god she stocked the bar.

"…perhaps look harder."

Narrowed eyes flicked to him.  He knew the Spaniard was closed off, it took a hard enough time on some occasions to get him to respond to the Czech’s surly humor.    He’d taken his own lifestyle for granted.  Being a twin, the affection that went along with it.  A family that was close. He knew the man didn’t have that kind of past, but to what extent it hadn’t been so brazenly apparent until his decision to trek off to New York on his own.   Worn expression contemplated Gabe’s words, whether or not the Nation would let him go.

He’d often wondered what his real position was with the Sheut.  He knew some, had seen enough to make assumptions… still feeling like the man was trying to sell him a Santa Claus myth on most occasions.  He didn’t like it, maybe being an official part of the group would give him more answers.  There wasn’t a chance he would be a pushover, and he let the man know it.  He would not live in fear because he’d been bypassed in the power department.  His power, was his knowledge and in many ways much more substantial because nobody expected it to be.

"If you decide to join, be sure to tell them that. They will recognize the truth. "

Sigh quiet, he took a sip of the amaretto, eyes moved to the dim illumination of the cockpit.    So many things were flickering through his brain. He couldn’t figure this one out.  He’d gotten stuck, and it was infuriating.

"..there is something… in our knowledge…."

Gaze moved back immediately.

"..something that might help you figure it out. "

Expression had become quiet, leaving no room for fucking around.  When he worked, he would be intent… but this, this was more than that.

[bodhan]What’s the price?[/bodhan]

It wasn’t an insinuation, the question serious. Would it take his compliance and swearing in to the Nation to get the information necessary to save one the two people he would destroy the world for?  He didn’t want his brain to go in that direction, that it was a ruse. He was angrier that he couldn’t figure it out without help.  He was better than this.  Problems got him stuck; it was part of the game.  This?  He couldn’t afford it, or get past it. He was stalled, the anger at his own failure pulling his fingers to knead between his eyes- Gabe’s reaction to the bump in the air snapping him out of his thought process.

[bodhan]Kurva!  …uklidnit..[/bodhan]

He leaned forward with another seethed sigh, elbows on his knees and peeling the Spaniard’s hands off the armrests to put their palms together between his as he contemplated.  His fingers were shorter, the Czech often studying the man’s hands when he woke up before the older man and didn’t want to move and wake him.  He’d imagined where every little scar had come from, probably not even close to the truth… folding their fingers together and putting the coolness of the Sheut’s skin on his forehead.

[bodhan]You’re fine.[/bodhan]  his voice was quiet, pulling his hands down to kiss his knuckles before he rolled forward and stood, brow dipping as he felt the shift in the plane.  Hands slid over Gabe’s curls, then his shoulders from behind, leaning close to his ear.  [bodhan]Anywhere on this plane where the door closes?[/bodhan]  playful nip on his earlobe had ulterior motives… distract the big goof from his troubles, and relax his own thought process.  He had to move, stopping in the doorway to the cockpit a moment to watch the dark sky ahead and acknowledge the pilot for the first time before moving off to explore the plane.

[bodhan]What's the price?[/bodhan]

It was a valid question.

Dark eyes studied him silently. The Spaniard was unreadable to most, they only saw the burly man that seemed unfazed by anything, the rock. Bodhan had known him long enough to have learned the subtleties that betrayed his emotions. There was a soft flicker of worry, a hint of excitement at what the Czech might learn, and the warmth of affection that others rarely saw in the amber flecked dark eyes.

[gabriele]… your pledge to the nation. And my promise to kill you if you ever use it against us.[/gabriele]

The wide pupils held the lighter gaze as the honest add hung as a warning to the nation.

[gabriele]… of course that promise will only remain etched so long as they do not betray me.[/gabriele]

But any "cool" factor evaporated with the bump in the sky as powerful fingers snatched the armrests and the intensely connected gaze was lost. The words in the cockpit were not processed as fingers blanched and threatened to damage her pretty plane. Flushed pupils had shrunk to pinpricks as the vision tunneled with another hiccup in their trajectory.

He was going to die. He had survived the fucking Mexican cartel, the apocalypse, attacks by zombies, being shot repeatedly, stabbed, tortured, even electrocuted, and he was going to die in a stupid fucking metal dildo in the sky.

The Czech's reassurance did not get past the fear the first time. Eyes only finally snapping to the younger man when his hands were peeled off the armrests, powerful fingers snatching onto flesh instead, taking a moment to realize he would hurt the younger man if he didn’t ease off his grip. Held breath burned in his chest as the cool forehead pressed to his own and words were finally heard.

[bodhan]You're fine.[/bodhan]

He didn’t feel fine. Swallow was difficult as he tried to force air to move from burning lungs. Dark lashes fluttered closed as the Czech's fingers found his curls and finally permitted the air to move once more in his chest. Head rested back as the words coyly danced across his ear. The nip on his earlobe almost managing to distract him, but playfulness was definitely not one of the emotions churning in his chest as the pitch of the plane changed, turning them early. Natural instincts had the strong fingers wrapped around the armrests once more as the younger man seemed unfazed, wandering the cabin of the private jet.

The rumble in the barrel chest was clearly unconvinced.

[gabriele]…door won't keep us from blowing up or falling out of the sky….[/gabriele]

Grumbled complaint was half under his breath as the slitted opened gaze watched the younger man casually wander around the cabin. There actually was a door, it had never dawned on the Spaniard to go through it since he was typically glued in the seat he dropped into from takeoff till the moment they landed.

As there seemed to be no further upset in the balance in the sky he released his chair long enough to retrieve the half full glass beside him which vanished very quickly. He would watch his drinking for Bodhan's sake…. another time.

"… your pledge to the nation. And my promise to kill you if you ever use it against us."

Blink was slow. Compliance or death, was the mark of a dictator. He dealt with absolutes every day. There were laws of science and nature that couldn’t be broken, but with other human beings.. or pseudo-human beings in this case, there were always shades of gray. To meet anything that claimed otherwise was incredibly overbearing, or ridiculously fearful. Maybe a little of both.

"… of course that promise will only remain etched so long as they do not betray me."

Lips pursed, expression contemplative, relaxing at the odd fear that was always so sudden in appearance. Sigh seethed, squeezing back against the incredible strength to let him know he would like his hands not to be crushed. He couldn’t sit still and watched the Spaniard drink himself to death in the sky, he had to get him moving too.

"…door won't keep us from blowing up or falling out of the sky…."

[bodhan]Neither will drinking and worrying about it.[/bodhan]

He opened the door next to the bar in the back end of the plane, nice. It opened up into a relatively spacious- for a small luxury plane- personal quarters. Small desk, bathroom in the far end, a rather comfortable looking reading chair, and a bed. Knee on the bed, he slid one of the window shades up. It didn’t budge. Brow wrinkled, wiggling it slightly… squinting as it slid to the right. It slid all the way to the right, collapsing upon itself as it opened the length of the head of the bed, leaving an absolutely impeccable view of the sky while one slept.

Fucking hell…

Footsteps took him back out, snagging the Spaniard by the wrist to tug him from the chair, grabbing the bottle like a carrot for the mule and dragging him along. He kicked off his shoes, took a swig of the whiskey, and set it next to the bed. Letting go of the Spaniard, he flopped on the bed, hands behind his head as he stared upward into the sky.

[bodhan]This is amazing…[/bodhan]

He leaned up for a second to grab the frozen brute by the back of his belt and pull him down sideways across where he was already fully perched, catching the glass and replacing it into his hand. Fingers went to the Spaniard’s curls laying on his stomach, jade eyes looking into the stars that were so bright. They looked so different than they used to, it was fascinating and infuriating at the same time. The world had gone dark. No equipment to study… no access to the incredible tools there used to be. He’d thought about road tripping north from LA to see if some of the old observatories still existed, but it involved dealing with zombies, and anyone else that had commandeered them. Maybe someday.

[bodhan]You ever want to do something other than… what you ended up doing?[/bodhan]

It was an odd question, Gabe’s past never really something the sassy ginger had asked him about. It was obvious the skill and countenance to carry out the worst fates was something that had not just appeared out of nowhere. But, why? Forced? No other way? It was a portion of their relationship that had never been discussed. They had eight hours, they had to talk about something… because he highly doubted with a bat-eared Sheut flying the plane he was getting in the man’s pants.

[bodhan]Neither will drinking and worrying about it.[/bodhan]

The grunt in his chest was half hearted. His mind knew the words made sense, but his fear said it was better to drink and worry as he reached for the bottle and poured a third glass while the Czech explored. Dark eyes trailed over the younger man as he found the odd door at the back of the plane. Normally he would have a bit of curiosity at such a thing but at the moment…. glass nearly fled his fingers as the plane pitched right a bit, enticing an iron grip back onto the armrest.

As the glass was rapidly coming back to his lips, his wrist was snatched, bottle held out as he was tugged to get out of the chair. A deep concussive sound rattled the very shell of the plane. The growl might have made another cringe away, but Bo had learned long ago that where the Czech was concerned, the vampire's growl was worse than his bite. While others had to be careful not to push the vampire as there was an extreme violence that fluttered beneath the cool surface, the Czech could push eternally and only get a grumbly pussycat.

Brutal growl remained prevalent until they passed through the doorway and he came face to face with, for all intensive purposes, a hotel room. Sound died in his chest as the Spaniard could only stand there and blink stupidly as the Czech kicked off his shoes, drank from the whiskey and flopped on the bed.

[bodhan]This is amazing…[/bodhan]

Blink was slow before looking out the window the younger man was fascinated with. The Nevus staring back at them, always the Nevus. Frown was punctuated with a half hearted grunt as he remained frozen in place only to have his belt yanked on. The Spaniard could be a stone pillar against nearly anything, but the Czech was one force he didn’t stand well against. Body unhappily surrendered to being pulled over onto the bed, his glass rescued from his fingers as his head ended up on the younger man's stomach. Body was stiff, unyielding in its fear until the fingers curled into the aged locks, instantly soothing the tension through the broad shoulders as he was given his glass back once more. The sip he finally took was less hungered than the last few as the breath swelled the chest slowly and even more slowly expelled as the magic fingers continued to caress through his unruly curls reminding him he needed a haircut.

[bodhan] You ever want to do something other than… what you ended up doing? [/bodhan]

Amber rays through the dark orbs glittered in the dim light of the cabin before closing, cleansing breath repeated as fingers seemed contented to simply hold the glass now. It was a loaded question, one that had only recently begun to flitter through his thoughts so the answer was not yet thoroughly explored. What gave him even more pause was the fact that they never really discussed the Spaniard's past. Much of it was brailled over scarred flesh but the questions regarding how these things got there was never on the Czechs lips. Perhaps it was something that had been on the younger man's mind all along. Lips were licked as they stalled for time, for a moment to think himself what the answer might be before finally breaking his silence.

[gabriele]…. I never thought…. that there was much of another life for me.[/gabriele]

Hand reached out and set the glass beside the discarded bottle before reaching over and entwining his fingers in the Czech's free hand, leaving the other to pet through his shag of curls as the captured digits were brought to his chest, gently held there as the breath came slow and the words were searched for.

[gabriele]I think my mother died….. I honestly don’t recall. Earliest I really remember is being three and on the streets.[/gabriele]

The gently clung to fingers were clasped a bit tighter, cuddled to his chest as he wandered through memories he had not pondered in decades.

[gabriele]… was small and scrawny for my age believe it or not.[/gabriele]

Faint smirk colored his lips before fading again.

[gabriele]…but fast as hell… which caught attention I suppose.[/gabriele]

Powerful thumb stroked over the back of the Czech's hands, dark orbs lost in thought.

[gabriele]..learned to use a knife, a gun…. to protect….. and to kill.[/gabriele]

He didn’t see a need to elaborate that the first blood was on his hands as early as age six. Bodhan knew enough to know it must have been early in his life, and was intelligent enough to understand that his entire life had been nothing but a tool of protection and killing. Dark eyes closed a moment, letting the soft pull through his curls calm the churn of memories before jumping a significant portion of time.

[gabriele]After the Resonance…. I didn’t know how to control "it"… months of just….[/gabriele]

Voice trailed off. The blood he spilled as a monster in several months rivaled what he had spilled as a gun runner for thirty years. Perhaps it was the repression he had lived under since a teen that made the "release" and insatiable appetite so bottomless. There was a reason he now chose to drink nothing but cold blood from the fridge. To this day he didn’t trust himself with the delicious warmth of fresh. Breath was sighed deeply before the gaze trailed out the window to the phenomenon that stole the Czech from him so often.

[gabriele]….I owe a lot to the one that leads the nation. If it all happened now, if I crossed their path now when I am not a …..[/gabriele]

The word "monster" was on the tip of his tongue but was left unspoken, after all, he was still a monster. Gaze lifted to look up at the Czech through the dark lashes.

[gabriele]….if it was now…. perhaps it would all be different… and I would be doing something…."different". Though for the life of me I don’t know what that would be.[/gabriele]

[bodhan]Oh hush..[/bodhan] the retort to the grumbled protest was hushed itself.  He could be grumpy all he wanted, but there was no way in hell the Czech was going to let him bottom out the entire bar and smell like the Shadow counter after a Saturday night for Pete’s sake.  He understood fear, but this one was ridiculous.  Planes were safer than anything, hell… even if something happened they would be unconscious before they hit the ground.   Wait. Would Gabe be unconscious before they hit the ground?

Shit.  Okay.  Maybe the grumpy gus had a point.

As he settled in, the reality of the situation no longer had the sting of immediate danger.  Sure, there was a distinct threat looming on the horizon, and he would hit it head on.  He had to make a plan, a moment he wished he had full access to his lab back in LA. He wondered if he should just think on paper until he got back.  The Spaniard said they had business in Scotland, but he really couldn’t put aside the feeling he shouldn’t wait.  He would rest a bit, if he slammed into things too fast, his brain did the equivalent of a pull on the emergency brake.  It took a bit of fluidity to push through problems, he was already jammed up on this one and couldn’t afford to stall it again.  He had to leave it alone, and he had to keep the Spaniard calm… a little worried when he set down his drink and didn’t respond right away to his question.

"…. I never thought…. that there was much of another life for me.  I think my mother died….. I honestly don’t recall. Earliest I really remember is being three and on the streets."

He couldn’t imagine such a thing, the absolute horror of being alone in the world still gave him nightmares.   Maybe it was a twin thing, or the result of being a child of privilege.  The world worked differently for people that had nothing to want for. Things like losing a parent were just as devastating, but lacked the tough as nails exterior to go on with life alone.  Even when his parents had died, he still had Maree.    When he lost Maree… he was too quick to forget where he was at that point before Gabe found him, squeezing back into the man’s fingers.

"… was small and scrawny for my age believe it or not."

He smirked with a scoff, knowing the rest of what he said was absolutely true. He’d been in the military, knew what it took to kill someone.  To take life at the level the Spaniard did he discerned before the Event had to require substantial reason, and skill.  It wasn’t surprising, but he’d never actually heard it from the man’s lips before.

"After the Resonance…. I didn’t know how to control "it"… months of just…."

The contemplation of the subject was always in the back of his mind.  He knew what happened at the club, but always watched the man suffer through cold shit in the fridge- never really asking him why Gabe had never sought him out.  Risk of infection was definitely a viable reason, the reason never actually given.

[bodhan]Is that why you never ask me?  I see you suffering through that horrible cold in the fridge… and know you’re not indulging in the club where others get their needs taken care of.  Just can’t, figure out why you never asked before…[/bodhan]

If he thought earlier questions were loaded, this was a doozy.  Almost the “are you cheating on me?” or “am I not good enough for you?” conversation, though he knew it wasn’t that. There had to be some other reason.

"….I owe a lot to the one that leads the nation. If it all happened now, if I crossed their path now when I am not a …..  ….if it was now…. perhaps it would all be different… and I would be doing something…."different". Though for the life of me I don’t know what that would be."

Looking down through his own lowered lashes at the man, lips pursed.

[bodhan]A chef.  I think you would have been a chef.  I saw the way you enjoyed that food. Of course… might not have the washboard stomach to bite on every once in a while if you were a chef, but I could live with that, because I wouldn’t eat peanut butter out of the jar anymore.[/bodhan]

Grin was mischievous, gaze lost as he closed his eyes and let his fingers wander and randomly softly twist through the curls.

[bodhan]Or if I did I'd get my ass smacked more often.[/bodhan]

As Bo's fingers returned the pressure he relaxed more, back of his head rubbing gently back and forth on the young abs. He hadn't thought about his childhood and even Mexico for a lifetime now. The Czech's smirked scoff at hearing the Spaniard had once been small and scrawny enticed a bigger grin from the man.

[gabriele]..I was…[/gabriele]

He had to learn young to be scrappy, resourceful and damn good with a knife. He didn’t really start growing until eleven, before that he was used as a punching bag often until he learned to fend for himself against bigger boys. Several of his more wicked scars…. were from his childhood, several, he barely survived.

Speaking of after the Resonance… even alluding to that time.. sent a shudder through his shoulders he couldn’t explain. For all the bloodshed he had wrought in his human life, the bodies he had disemboweled, all had been with a purpose, but after the Resonance, the monster he had become did worse and for no other reason than the pleasure of it.. he could never allow that again.

[bodhan] Is that why you never ask me? I see you suffering through that horrible cold in the fridge… and know you’re not indulging in the club where others get their needs taken care of. Just can’t, figure out why you never asked before…[/bodhan]

There was something fragile in the voice he knew so well. Dark eyes lifting to meet the lighter jade. Instantly the hand was released, the large hand instead gently reaching back to cup the cheek behind him, thumb softly rubbing up the side of the warm throat that had more than once perfumed the aroma of his blood at the Spaniard. Bodhan thought he was rejecting him. Expression pained at the misunderstanding, there were consequences to his silence. Head shook as the hand remained on the younger jawline.

[gabriele]….I have not had warm blood for over five years. I just…. I don’t trust myself Bodhan. That hunger is so…. Its so….[/gabriele]

Hand slid from the Czech's features, arm instead falling over the dark eyes as if to hide from his own shame. Breath slow and deep before being held in his chest to settle.

[gabriele]… it is so powerful… and I don’t trust myself to stop. [/gabriele]

The whisper that followed almost childlike.

[gabriele]….I couldn’t stop before.[/gabriele]

There was horror in the tremor of his normally firm voice. There was a revulsion in the very thought. What if he got a taste of the Czech's blood and couldn’t stop the hunger for more. Already on more than one occasion the very scent of the younger man's flush had sent the vampire's senses in a tizzy.

Breath stuttered as he spoke of owing Ausar, of not knowing what he would do different now. The entire conversation had managed to do precisely what Bodhan wanted, the Spaniard had completely forgotten about the plane. Though perhaps not as relaxed now as the Czech would have preferred.

[bodhan] A chef. I think you would have been a chef. I saw the way you enjoyed that food. Of course… might not have the washboard stomach to bite on every once in a while if you were a chef, but I could live with that, because I wouldn’t eat peanut butter out of the jar anymore…[/bodhan]

There was a pregnant pause. Arm slid from his eyes to blink up at the Czech a bit bewildered.

[gabriele]….chef?[/gabriele]

Ok… he was pretty bad ass with a set of santoku and nakiri knives in the kitchen, but chef was probably stretching it a bit far.

[bodhan]…………. Or if I did I'd get my ass smacked more often.[/bodhan]

Brow quirked up, a hint of his calmer self bleeding into his smirk.

[gabriele]…don’t need to eat out of the peanut butter jar to get me to smack your ass more.[/gabriele]

"..I was…"

Chuckle was light in his chest. That, he did not believe.   Gabe could say it a million times, but he couldn’t quite put the image together in his mind.  A scrawny little Spaniard?  The image was insanely adorable in his head given what was in front of him now.  Long sigh was pulled in and let out as he stared upward into the star speckled sky , maybe it was the sudden comfort and the need to distract the man that made him ask it.  It’s been on his mind for a long time. There were so many questions he wanted to ask, afraid of making Gabe feel like one of his experiments. This one, was definitely more of the personal variety.  There may come a time when he would have to ask it of him, especially since he planned on experimenting on himself to create an antidote if the worst happened.  A walking inoculation.  That was a secret that would be hard to keep, especially if what he thought was coming came to pass.  Enough blood to go around for the entire Nation?  Doubtful.

When the eyes came up to meet his, there were so many thoughts behind them he had to hide, unconsciously leaning away from the touch at first before bringing up his fingers to press the scarred hand to his lips firmly.  Residual thoughts had made him apprehensive.  Would there come a time when he would have to save his life, and they couldn’t be together because of what he would have to do to make it happen?

"….I have not had warm blood for over five years. I just…. I don’t trust myself Bodhan. That hunger is so…. Its so…."

His answer didn’t make him feel any better.

"… it is so powerful… and I don’t trust myself to stop. "

He had some decisions to make, and they were ones he would hate himself for. Unable to be together with his sister to keep them both alive.  If what he knew had to happen here came to pass, he may lose Gabe too.  Lashes lowered to a crinkled forehead, trying to push away everything… the choices he would have to make.

"….I couldn’t stop before.".

Change of subject, welcome.  The Czech was social, he knew how to sweep one thing under the rug and run with another.  It would be a conversation for them after business was taken care of, or  perhaps here.  Maybe this was the place to hash this out.

"….chef?"

Face lit up at the odd look from the Spaniard, a surly smile to his lips.

[bodhan]Yes.  I think it suits you.  I know you watch when I’m working, can almost hear your thoughts moving... you have a great mind and I think there’s a creative streak you don’t know you have. You enjoy food, good with knives… logical.  Plus the first night you almost killed me, you made me breakfast.  it was good.[/bodhan]

"…don’t need to eat out of the peanut butter jar to get me to smack your ass more."

His laugh was bright, calming to a long moment of silence before getting down to business again, predicated with a small sigh.  This was going to hit him hard, it was already burning his own brain.

[bodhan]This, issue I spoke about in the car… is going to happen.  I know it is.  I can’t trust anyone else with my work, so I will be making myself the antidote.[/bodhan]

Fingers reached up to rub his eyes lightly, palm resting on his forhead..

[bodhan]..it’s the only way I can trust that if you need it, it will be there for you.  I will tell you when it's done.  I know you're worried...  I’m sorry, but it's the only way.[/bodhan]

The Spaniard did not miss the lean away, cringing inwardly at the secrets that churned behind the light eyes. Did it disgust Bodhan? The thought of the Spaniard needing to feed on blood? Or was it that since he didn’t trust himself, by default the Czech should not trust him either?.. or was it baser, was there fear there?

The last thought was heart wrenching.

Every limb felt weighted as he lay still for once. The abrupt change of subject only made the pit in his stomach churn harder. He buried the information once more. He never should have spoken of the monster and how he worried about it coming out again.

But as the Czech lit up at his confusion at the chef reference, he tried to let go the twist in his gut, returning the expression with a soft smile.

[bodhan]… I think there’s a creative streak you don’t know you have. You enjoy food, good with knives… logical. Plus the first night you almost killed me, you made me breakfast. It was good. [/bodhan]

Nostrils snorted softly as the bridge wrinkled.

[gabriele]..it was hardly notable. You just seemed half starved. And besides….. don’t need to eat out of the peanut butter jar to get me to smack your ass more.[/gabriele]

The smile that brightened back at him began to actually melt the knot in his gut. There were times he really didn’t know how the Czech felt about the relationship that had been born out of their violent encounter. He just never was… clear.

Of course the Spaniard was not quick to use words of affection either.

The quiet settled in once more, leaving the vampire to again dwell on the possibility that the Czech wanted to pull away, that he mistrusted the Spaniard. The small sigh only drew the lump up into his throat.

[bodhan] This, issue I spoke about in the car… is going to happen. I know it is. I can’t trust anyone else with my work, so I will be making myself the antidote.[/bodhan]

Blink was slow. Wondering how they had gotten here and realizing now more than ever, Bodhan needed to know some of the secrets held close to the Nation's heart.

[bodhan]..it’s the only way I can trust that if you need it, it will be there for you. I will tell you when it's done. I know you're worried... I’m sorry, but it's the only way. [/bodhan]

Breath pulled slow and deep before sitting up, legs hanging off the bed to rest his elbows on his knees. Hands clasped together thoughtfully, the frown etched on his brow making the features age more. Fingers unclasped to lay on the mattress behind him between the younger man's legs, weight leaning back on his arms. Dark eyes glanced over to the Czech, words soft.

[gabriele]… you cant be the antidote to everything Bodhan.[/gabriele]

There was again something unsaid, something he couldn’t say yet.

They would have to revisit the conversation about Gabe’s sustenance needs.  He’d been meaning to say something for a while, the time never seeming to be quite right.  They had eight hours in a plane after a particularly problem filled take-off, what else was there to talk about?  The Spaniard was entirely too quiet though.  He was quiet often, but not with the degree of distance seeping from him at that moment.  Too many questions unanswered for the both of them, happy to change the subject for a brief minutia before their world would get very deep into things that neither of them wanted to hear.

"..it was hardly notable. You just seemed half starved. And besides….. don’t need to eat out of the peanut butter jar to get me to smack your ass more."

Fingers pulled through his hair, leaving the curls a bit more tame, [bodhan]I was half starved because you wouldn’t let me eat my bacon, and you stole my good Vodka.[/bodhan]

The bright moment was short-lived, the world heavy on his shoulders.  He just needed to get it out of the way.  Too often he watched Gabe wrestle with things what were left unsaid because he felt he couldn’t, or was forbidden to share.  It had been a point of contention, merely several days prior as a shining example.  The Czech would not live that way, there were no secrets in his mind.  Anything Gabe wanted to know was there for the asking; he understood the apprehension sometimes.  The Spaniard was not Bodhan, and their lives prior to a fight in front of his cabin were worlds apart.  His expression changed as he watched him sit up after his carefully laid out plans were confessed, his own fingers intertwining behind his head to silently contemplate.

"… you cant be the antidote to everything Bodhan."

Light eyes closed, head falling back to the comforter covered pillow. Fingertips kneaded his brow.

[bodhan]I don’t want to be the antidote to everything… I want to be the antidote to you, and to Maree.[/bodhan]

It was his turn to be annoyed, fingers brushed his hair back again before arms stretched outward to both sides and he stared into the dotted and streaked sky again… a long time before he said anything.  Fingers came up to knead again, he had a headache.  Too many days poring over papers with glasses that were out of date.  His eyes were not what they used to be.

[bodhan]Look… I wasn’t hit with this awesome magic bat like everyone else was…  All I have, is my mind.  You won’t let me protect you by being a source of sustenance,[/bodhan]   it was delivered without emotion, worried the man probably thought the Czech suspected he was slinking around being sparkly with chicks... so he was unemotional, scientific like the brain it was coming from. So many questions about how they worked, but he'd vowed to never make the man feel like a lab rat.  [bodhan]…and I get why, I do.  I can’t protect my own sister.  I can’t protect myself, fuck… I can’t even buy my own suits, see right or fix my own goddamn glasses.[/bodhan]

He was now getting emotional, knowing it was in his head for some time but hearing it from his own lips made himself seem even more helpless than he thought he was.

[bodhan]Just… just let me do what I can to at least try and protect you okay?[/bodhan]

Both heels of his hands came up to his eye sockets, the furled brow had set off the ticking of temples he knew would blossom into something worse if he didn’t relax.  Did vampires take Tylenol?  Doubtful it would be on the plane.  Long draws moved over his temples before his hands folded over his stomach and he looked at the man.  A foot drew up to gently push playfully at the hip of the rock he knew would sway only for him.

[bodhan]I know I’m just a lab coat and not some gun toting commando, so just let me feel like I’m contributing for once…  [/bodhan]

[bodhan] I was half starved because you wouldn’t let me eat my bacon, and you stole my good Vodka.[/bodhan]

Bridge of the oft broken nose wrinkled at the mention of bacon. There were certain foods that the smell of which were just nauseating to the overly keen senses. He couldn’t argue with the Vodka, that he had taken, though he would HARDLY call it stealing. Of course "borrowing" wouldn’t be exactly the right word either.

[bodhan]I don’t want to be the antidote to everything… I want to be the antidote to you, and to Maree.[/bodhan]

They were both right. He knew what Bodhan meant, but the Spaniard was talking about the fact that there was more than one thing that might be a death knell for the vampires. It was not something he could explain, not yet.

The quiet that fell again was unsettling. They could spend an entire afternoon at home wordless, Bodhan buried in his science, the Spaniard buried in a book or the finances of the club, and it was comfortable. This quiet….. was a chasm….. and ominous.

[bodhan] Look… I wasn’t hit with this awesome magic bat like everyone else was… All I have, is my mind. You won’t let me protect you by being a source of sustenance…. And I get why, I do.[/bodhan]

Did he? The dark eyes were quiet as he glanced to the side at the Czech whose gaze seemed to continually be drawn outside. The emotionless tone of the younger man disconcerting.

[bodhan] I can’t protect my own sister. I can’t protect myself, fuck… I can’t even buy my own suits, see right or fix my own goddamn glasses. Just… just let me do what I can to at least try and protect you okay? [/bodhan]

The crack in the Czech's tone was almost a relief as the emotion cracked through the façade again.

[bodhan]I know I’m just a lab coat and not some gun toting commando, so just let me feel like I’m contributing for once…[/bodhan]

The dark eyes watched the rub over tired eyes, faint smile as the foot pushed on his hip, body swaying away before "falling" forward again; dropping to his elbow which fell on the other side of the Czech's ribs, torso pinning the smaller man down at the hips. Free hand reached up to slide behind the neck that so often tried to seduce his feral side, powerful fingers rubbing up into the base of the skull. He could spot one of Bodhan's headaches from a mile away.

[gabriele]…first off…. the magic bat….wasnt all that "awesome"… one big never ending headache if you ask me.[/gabriele]

Soft words were warm. They had never discussed it, but if he had ever been given the choice of this life or "normalcy"… the Spaniard would choose normalcy every time.

[gabriele]Second… you could buy your own suits and fix your own glasses if you would let me pay you for all you do at the club.[/gabriele]

Between having organized the Shadow's books and then regularly testing "product" to ensure it wasn’t infected… the Czech more than earned his keep but thus far refused a paycheck. The Spaniard knew it was tied to the whole being "kept" thing but he was doing a "job" for the club… wasn’t like he was offering to pay the younger man for a damn blow job. Fingers continued to massage the skull, head tilting to the side as he watched the younger features, the harsh crackle of age on his own having softened.

[gabriele]….and you look good in a lab coat but.. commando works too.[/gabriele]

The smirk on his lips teasing, full well knowing that wasn’t what the Czech had been referring to. The smile was gentle as he leaned forward, forehead pressing to the Czech's. Thick lashes fluttered closed as the breath came slow, filling his chest and easing out again before he shifted back to his pinning position over the younger man's hips, fingers rubbing the back of his neck.

[gabriele]….and finally, you misunderstood me. I wasn’t trying to dissuade you from protecting Bodhan. Just…. wait to solve it until you know the rest of the …what do you call them?... variables.[/gabriele]

There were times the Spaniard’s silence was comfortable, and he was comfortable with it. Others, he just wanted to repeatedly hit the man with a pillow until he gave up his secrets- always at odds with what he decided to withhold from him.  He understood clearly there were things he would never be privy to, and he was okay with it.  There were others, most recently exploding to light… more accurately to altercations due to things being withheld from him.  He thought they had worked through it in the last few days, maybe they hadn’t.

Eyes fluttered at the touch and closed, skin erupting in a patter of gooseflesh.  It was always an immediate switch the man knew how to throw before the migraine hurt so bad his eyes would cross.

"…first off…. the magic bat….wasnt all that "awesome"… one big never ending headache if you ask me."

[bodhan]So is not being able to do anything about anything.[/bodhan]  his comment was under his breath. He could do the nastiest of things with just his human intelligence, but in a fight?  He would lose every time.

"Second… you could buy your own suits and fix your own glasses if you would let me pay you for all you do at the club."

The ‘psh’ was dismissive.  He was always doing something, it helped him think.  Why would he ask to be paid for things that he did absently while he was trying to solve other problems?  Corners of his eyes winced slightly as Gabe caught a particularly sore spot on the back of his skull.  He didn’t remember hitting his head in the car incident.  He might have.

"….and you look good in a lab coat but.. commando works too."

Eyes popped open, surly smirk on the corners of his lips before he closed them again.  Wince was slight at the forehead that gently touched his, the pain subsiding but skin still sensitive.

"….and finally, you misunderstood me. I wasn’t trying to dissuade you from protecting Bodhan. Just…. wait to solve it until you know the rest of the …what do you call them?... variables."

[bodhan]…everything is a variable.  A flap of butterfly wings is supposed to cause hurricanes on the other side of the world. It doesn’t stop weather men from predicting their landfall.  Variables just open up more answers.[/bodhan]

Fingers wandered back to knead between his eyes.  Maybe it was the pressurized cabin, the headache hovering and biting at his mood. It was the damn stopped cork again, this same problem that he couldn't solve, and it was pissing him off.

[bodhan]So is not being able to do anything about anything.[/bodhan]

The dark gaze narrowed slightly.

[gabriele]..the things that come out of that head of yours are far more valuable than any muscle I can throw around. Don’t ever forget that.[/gabriele]

He knew the Czech knew… but he seemed to need reminding from time to time. The Spaniard wasn’t stupid by any stretch of the imagination, but he was hardly on a level with the Czech and the brilliant thoughts he could concoct on a Saturday night whim.

The surly smirk when he mentioned going commando drew a dark expression over the earthen orbs, it was an expression that typically led to some vases on the floor, pillows lost to the dark corners under the bed and sheets torn apart in a tousled sweaty mess. But… this wasn’t home… and the Spaniard was not one to "perform" with a spectator on board. Instead… he spoke of variables.

[bodhan]…everything is a variable. A flap of butterfly wings is supposed to cause hurricanes on the other side of the world. It doesn’t stop weather men from predicting their landfall. Variables just open up more answers.[/bodhan]

The flutter of a smile crossed his lips as the fingers continued to work the back of the Czech's neck, the nod faint.

[gabriele]…yes. But there are butterfly wing variables and meteors falling from the sky variables. I want you to know the big ones.[/gabriele]

Brow furled as the nose scrunched in obvious annoyance, the growl rumbling softly in his chest.

[gabriele]…which I cant tell you yet.[/gabriele]

These were clearly secrets he didn’t like keeping from the younger man, the growl peetering out into a soft huff of disgruntled frustration. Strong jaw rubbed on the young chest as the fingers continued to kneed behind his neck.

He was warm. Thick lashes blinked slow, dark gaze flicking to the Armani on his wrist. 1am. But that was New York time. They were making a straight line for Scotland where it was already 6am so it was likely close to 4am where they currently hovered over the ocean. The sky was still dark but he could already feel the break of sunrise coming. He was thankful for the glazing on Eris' windows.

The soft jolt of the plane against air currents caused an immediate flinch of stone muscles, faint growl snarling a bit in his chest. Arm resting to the left of Bodhan's ribs slid under his body to pull the form up against him tight, the strength enough to make it a bit hard to breathe as he clung a moment as though his life depended on it. As the plane again was steady he let the grip relax again. At least he hadn't grabbed for the bottle.

A soft huff escaped his nostrils once more as he relaxed his entire dead weight onto the younger man's chest. Moments slid by before he pulled his left elbow up on the side of the Czech and rested the side of his cheek on it to look down into the light eyes. Words were quiet as he continued to kneed at the flutter of migraine the younger man was battling.

[gabriele]I have a cabin. It’s a couple hours drive from…well.. anything.[/gabriele]

Smile lit warmth into the dark eyes, awakening the amber flecks in the rich earthen color. He figured Bodhan would like that.

[gabriele]…sits on a stream. No electricity. Showers are damn cold but..cant beat the quiet.[/gabriele]

"..the things that come out of that head of yours are far more valuable than any muscle I can throw around. Don’t ever forget that."

[bodhan]Can’t think my way out of a fist fight Gabe,[/bodhan]  the retort wasn’t mean, but it wasn’t kind either.  [bodhan]World isn’t about thinkers anymore.[/bodhan]

His sigh was long, the methodical kneading of the back of his neck calming the throb of migraine but bringing forward the touch of alcohol that adrenaline had cleared for the time being.  He felt heavy, hum of the engines not bothering him in the slightest.  He’d been everywhere in the world with his sister.  He wished she was here with them, a sting to his eyes that he couldn’t control.  Fingers tightened in the Spaniard's shirt unconsciously.

"…yes. But there are butterfly wing variables and meteors falling from the sky variables. I want you to know the big ones."

[bodhan]There always are.[/bodhan]

Eyes had closed, partially because he was still exhausted from the nearly sleepless trek across the country, partially because he didn’t want the Spaniard to see how much it still panged in his chest.  His fingers found the man’s curls, wanting to just… sleep, eyes popping open as he was suddenly clutched with a vengeance and the growl reverberated against him.  They closed again.

[bodhan]Hush.  The plane is not going to crash… and you’re squeezing me too tight…[/bodhan] he wheezed slightly as Gabe’s weight was then relaxed on top of him.  [bodhan]Good gods Gabe, you’re getting fat.[/bodhan]  teasing voice hummed in his chest, eyes cracking slightly to smirk at him and fully expecting to get biffed with a pillow [bodhan]beer belly…[/bodhan]

"I have a cabin. It’s a couple hours drive from…well.. anything."

Lashes parted again quietly, it perked his interest before they closed again.  He felt heavy. He probably was still somewhat dehydrated.  When he crashed, he crashed hard.  Now with no paper to write on, nothing to read… forced listlessness always drew him under when his brain had nothing else to do.  Even staring at the sky was pulling his lashes closed.

"…sits on a stream. No electricity. Showers are damn cold but..cant beat the quiet."

[bodhan]Skinny dipping…[/bodhan]  smirk was light, thoughts not quite all there, fingers twisting gently in the man’s curls.  [bodhan]…not that I’ve ever done it.  That I would admit.[/bodhan]

Sigh long, the world was quiet and so was he.

Bodhan was always such a pessimist…or maybe it was realist? He didn’t want to have his spirits lifted by anything the Spaniard was saying. The only saving grace was exhaustion was beginning to slow the very blood in the Czech's veins as sleep began to beckon hard. Fingers continued to massage the back of the younger man's skull to help the sleep come quicker. His scientist needed it.

Turbulence interrupted his attempt, instead nearly suffocating Bodhan in his grip.

[bodhan]Hush. The plane is not going to crash… and you’re squeezing me too tight…Good gods Gabe, you’re getting fat…….beer belly…"[/bodhan]

Blink was pronounced before the sulking scowl darkened his brow.

[gabriele]..do not…[/gabriele]

Hand unconsciously went to his gut to see if it was showing the signs of aging distention. Sometimes the Czech had a real way of reminding him how much older he was. "Dirty old man" came to mind. He changed the subject to his cabin and was instantly rewarded as the younger man visibly relaxed.

[bodhan]Skinny dipping.…not that I’ve ever done it. That I would admit.[/bodhan]

Chuckle was soft and warm as he leaned down, lips near the Czech's ear.

[gabriele]..I have… but its no fun alone.[/gabriele]

He left it at that as he could feel the blood slow with the younger man's breathing. Sleep had finally trapped him. Kiss brushed the forehead that still seemed furled in worry. Fingers continuing to kneed a few more minutes until he was sure Bodhan was deep in dreamland before gently extracting himself, hand reached for the bottle without thinking. He left the covers off the window in the bed chamber but as he walked through the main cabin he pushed each shade down, pausing to look down and poke at his gut with a frown. It was rock hard but still, the flitter of a doubt seemed to embed easily with the Spaniard. Grumbling to himself he set to closing the rest of the shades, dawn would be blazing in front of them soon.

Grunt was punctuated by a soft groan of metal as he caught himself on the doorway into the cockpit when the plane's trajectory had a faint hiccup. The mutter under his breath only half for her benefit.

[gabriele]…damn turbulence..[/gabriele]

Fingers released the deathgrip on the metal before dropping into the chair next to her, sitting sideways facing her as he glanced at the bottle only now realizing it was still in his hand. Silently he apologized to Bodhan… he would quit drinking some other time. Bottle reached his lips, warm liquid vanishing as he glanced out the front window. He already found his lashes fluttering defensively half closed and dawn was far on the horizon yet. Glancing at her, the brow puzzled down a bit.

[gabriele]You going to be ok landing into the sun?[/gabriele]

Dark glance watched the Czech get up to explore the plane, surprised yet not when his companion got up and followed.  Words had seemed harsh between the two, having figured the hasty take-off departure was not on amiable terms some time ago.  She doubted the seriousness had anything to do with the relationship between them and was more about the threat the scientist had eluded to.  It gave even her pause.  As a witness to some of the most despicable things in the world, it came as no surprise though.  If anyone could figure it out, this man could.  She’d pushed her headset back on when the two began to talk in the back- not in the habit of eavesdropping on private conversations. 

Mouse continued to check in periodically to make sure the course was maintained.  She was not pleased there had been no notice where they were going.  Flying near England was not something she took lightly. Appreciating they recognized she was the best, it still irked her…  she couldn’t continue to be the best  if she was dragon food.

The lull of the darkness was hypnotizing, every once in a while catching a glint of something off the ocean below, glow from the horizon bringing a hand up to bring the glass to its fully shaded state. She felt him before she heard him, the change in air of someone in the doorway bringing her headset down around her collarbone.

"…damn turbulence.."

[eris]Happens.[/eris]  he had no idea what turbulence really was.  Turbulence so bad even she lost her lunch would kill him.

"You going to be ok landing into the sun?"

She was quiet a while, scanning the cockpit to make sure all was well.

[eris]I can land in a hurricane,[/eris]  the stern seriousness lingered at his question.  [eris]No amount of drinking will help get you on the ground faster,[/eris] the stern concentration broke suddenly, a sly lick of a Scarlett expression pursed at him. [eris]Don't worry about my skills, I have new fun toys.  Besides, we’re not landing into the sun, we’re approaching from the East, unless you want to see how quick a dragon can pluck us from the sky.  Have to avoid England entirely.[/eris]

Air drawn into her lungs was let out slowly, leaning back in her chair.

[eris]Was what Marin said true?  Is that why we’re heading to Scotland?[/eris]

His swallow was thick as he sat. He was well aware that turbulence could be far worse than the soft hiccups they were having. He would never survive it. There wasn’t enough alcohol in the world. Her silence drew a faint frown across his brow after he asked about landing into the sun. Was she concerned?

[eris]I can land in a hurricane.[/eris]

The rare smile slid over his lips, words quiet.

[gabriele]…wasn’t questioning your skill, Eris. Just if the danger to us could be mitigated.[/gabriele]

The Spaniard knew better than to question her skills. Too many lives had been saved.

[eris] No amount of drinking will help get you on the ground faster..[/eris]

Growl was soft in his chest as the gaze flicked to glare through the hooded shade forward.

[gabriele]…not you too.[/gabriele]

Grumble was half under his breath as he answered the comment with another swig from his bottle.

[eris]Don't worry about my skills, I have new fun toys. Besides, we’re not landing into the sun, we’re approaching from the East, unless you want to see how quick a dragon can pluck us from the sky. Have to avoid England entirely.[/eris]

Wait…what? But they were going east. Which meant they were circling Scotland and coming back from the other side. That made the trip longer! She was trying to kill him. The groan murmured in the barrel chest as he half pivoted into the seat, left leg still draped between them as the right faced front and his head leaned back on the headrest.

[eris]Was what Marin said true? Is that why we’re heading to Scotland?[/eris]

It was his turn for silence. Answering either way would be violating his oath. There were things he knew, that like Bodhan, she was not yet privy to from the Sheut. But she would be soon. Of course she didn’t know that. Bottle came to his lips as he squinted out the front window. Rather than directly addressing her question, he answered the one not asked.

[gabriele]….heading to Scotland because I want him to have the chance to pledge to the Nation. I want its protection laid out for him no matter where he goes….. and…. we are heading to Scotland because you have been summoned before the Council.[/gabriele]

Dark eyes moved to her. The cloak and daggers of the Nation were not really his thing. But there were lines even he wouldn’t cross. Besides, he needed no marks against him going into this meeting because he planned to ask the unthinkable of Ausar.

"…wasn’t questioning your skill, Eris. Just if the danger to us could be mitigated."

The sharp brow quirked over at him, reaching above her head to flick another switch- the gold sheen  sliding over the front windshield like liquid.  She was amazed he’d even managed to get his ass up into the cockpit again.  Of course the big black nothing that could be seen out the window with the twinkle of stars overhead didn’t hint of any  major catastrophe.  As soon as the sun came up and the world was in view below as she dipped below the clouds, that Czech better be up and running interference for her.

"…not you too."

She smirked, his answer to her alcohol quip had hit home.   He had a hard ass reputation, a lethal reputation.  Now he was sitting here in her cockpit swigging from a bottle and freaking out at every bump in the road.  The look on his face as she informed him they were approaching from the East was priceless, not a lick of emotion on her face.  She wasn’t that much of a bitch to rub his nose in it, well maybe she was with someone else… but she liked her plane in one piece, the same eyebrow cocked glance over to him as he settled into the other seat.  Deep coffee brown returned to watching the radar, not expecting an answer to her question about the reasoning behind their trip.  Salvatierra didn’t divulge much, ever- surprised when earlier he was talking so freely in her cabin within earshot.

"….heading to Scotland because I want him to have the chance to pledge to the Nation. I want its protection laid out for him no matter where he goes….. and…. we are heading to Scotland because you have been summoned before the Council."

[eris]Good for Marin.  Me?!  They want to see me?!  Are you fucking kidding me?  Those bitches…[/eris]  the part about Marin she expected, but her?  Mother fuckers.  They didn’t tell her shit about where she was going, put her plane in danger… for what?  Nailing a little shit to the east fence after he decided to rip open a half dozen drunk college kids in the park, AND left them alive to squeal to the cops?  [eris]Don’t tell me where I’m going, put my god damn plane at risk on a cross continental flight, to what?  Slap my wrist because I tore apart a couple rogue vampires that were going crazy in central park and exposing our asses because the Executioner was nowhere to be found.  God damn it.[/eris]

She was furious, her demure size not hiding in the slightest how formidable her temper could be when fully fanned.  The sharp gaze snapped to him.

[eris]You owe me for not telling me,[/eris]  glare became more sullen, almost pouted and betrayed.  [eris]Put you to work lush.  Watch the radar.  You see a blip, color change, anything other than a flat screen you tell me STAT.[/eris]

The were making the swing around England, she trusted her navigation, but she trusted her eyes more.  Her eyes on the sky and his on the radar would be a far safer solution and give her a hour to cool before she landed and decided to tear into someone.

Dark eyes blinked at the gold sheen that slid down the windshield, screen against the sun? She really had upgraded her "toys".

[eris] Good for Marin. Me?! They want to see me?! Are you fucking kidding me? Those bitches…[/eris]

Blink was a bit surprised. He wasn’t sure what she would assume from his information but that she assumed the worst made him wonder just what she had been up to these days. Dark brow lifted over the amber flecked chocolate orbs as he looked at her.

[eris]…. tore apart a couple rogue vampires that were going crazy in central park and exposing our asses because the Executioner was nowhere to be found. God damn it.[/eris]

If he hadn't had the bottle on his lap but at his lips he might have choked on the dark liquor. She didn’t know who he was yet. He had to bite back the sarcastic "I cant be everywhere you know" quip as it would expose him and he would have REALLY overstepped all bounds he was supposed to adhere to by the Nation. Would she be pissed when she found out? Faint frown ghosted the brow.

[eris]You owe me for not telling me…[/eris][gabriele]…and I will owe them for what I have told you already.[/gabriele]

Words were soft as he kept looking through the now oddly colored front window. He had given her the heads up, full well knowing he wasn’t supposed to. Again, he didn’t like the cloak and dagger shtick, he saw no reason to blindside a person unless the plan was to kill them, and he happened to know for a fact that was not why she was being called "home".

Watch the radar?... she really was being funny now. She damn well knew his normally steely attention was currently more that of a five year old, intensely focused until the proverbial "squirrel" or bump in the air came. But as the dark gaze studied the side of her features and faint protrusion of her annoyed lips he felt the need to do more than just give a heads up, he wanted her to not worry too much. He knew why she was summoned, just wasn’t allowed to say.

Instead he reached out and pinched her cheek lightly, tugging it a bit the way a sibling might when teasing.

[gabriele]…yea yea… I got your back.[/gabriele]

He seemed to be responding to the instruction to watch the radar, but it wasn’t what he really meant. She would either know that… or she wouldn’t. He didn’t risk saying more, not while knowing Oracle was going to be there. The Nation's living lie detector always gave him a bit of the creeps. Her soft cheek released he tried to relax in the chair and stare at the black portal screen as the last of the bottle vanished down the gut.

Funny, now that they were getting close, he sorta wasn’t ready to be on the ground. Frown ticked down on the brow. He was not looking forward to making his request on Bo and Eris' behalf with Ausar. But he was resolved to do so. He wanted both of them to know.

"…and I will owe them for what I have told you already."

[eris]You didn’t tell me nothing,[/eris]  she quipped, stewing in her own anger. If this was about her self-proclaimed responsibility to clean up her area, there was going to be one hell of an ass chewing.  She cared who was in charge, knew the Sheut took care of their own, but they’d been remarkably lax in the New York arena lately.  It was like the fucking Wild West.  Damn rogues spreading their diluted crap like an equivalent of an STD.  Like hell she was going to watch her Nation go down like before.  [eris]I didn’t drag their asses out of the hellfire to get spanked for doing the job they should have been taking care of in my city.  Until they make it an issue, I’m just your pilot.[/eris]

She let it lie, saving the venom for the appropriate people.  For all she knew, the Spaniard next to her could be the one in charge… she knew better, somewhat.  The faces she’d saved were etched in her memory, and his wasn’t in the picture.   He seemed more comfortable, good… he was going to need it in the next few hours.

Pure evil glared at him through slit lashes as he pinched and tugged at her cheek, the action catching her off guard.  At least she resisted the urge to flash her teeth, bully for her.

"…yea yea… I got your back."

Lips tightened, but the eyes relaxed and returned to their instruments and vigil in the sky as a gentle turn of the plane signaled they were making the swing.

[eris]We’ll see,[/eris]  she was quiet.  Her team would die for her, and she would for them.  She didn’t know the Spaniard from a hole in the wall, not yet anyway… but oddly enough she liked him.  She didn’t like very many people, could count them on one hand actually.  [eris]Just watch the radar, shorty.  Pinch my cheek again and I'll eat you hermanote.[/eris]

Archived